In This Date in 1981

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In This Date in 1981

The IBM Personal Computer was introduced.

And Bill Gates was infected with terminal grin.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

And it was a turd.

Gates was a weenie then, Paul Allen was the brains of the bunch, which combined with his later diagnosis of Parkinson's disease, is why Gates is where he is now.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

And this date 1061 Haleys comet was sighted by an english monk... On this date in 1066 the Normands invaded England...
      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

I wasn't alive and the world was still dark.

Ego? Moi?

Comment

Hodgkins disease, Mike. If you're gonna slam, get your facts straight!

And I really disagree with your assessment of the relative worth of the two co-founders of Microsoft, but I really don't care enough about the issue to get into a big ol' pissin' match. So you win by default.

Comment

The fact remains, Gates is in fact, where he is now.

You think your border swimming buddies care how they got here?
            No. Only that they arrrived.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
              Hodgkins disease, Mike. If you're gonna slam, get your facts straight!

And I really disagree with your assessment of the relative worth of the two co-founders of Microsoft, but I really don't care enough about the issue to get into a big ol' pissin' match. So you win by default.
              I can't just let you go so easy. "Who'd ever need more than 640k?" 'nuf said.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                You think your border swimming buddies care how they got here?
                No. Only that they arrrived.
                Most of 'em are regular commuters, so they like to shop around for the best deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik
                  And this date 1061 Haleys comet was sighted by an english monk... On this date in 1066 the Normands invaded England...
                  I thought they invaded at around Michaelmas which is September. Why did I think that I wonder.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

the first IBM pc was pathetic, especially in comparison to Apple's products at the time.
                    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                    Drake Tungsten
                    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                    Albert Speer

Comment

Do you know that MSFT has lost more than 50% of market cap since Jan 2000? At its peak it was worth 700B, or something insane like that.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

who cares if the first IBM was pathetic... it IS what has carried us this far... I mean, who uses a Mac anyway? Steve Jobs can kiss my... actually he is really rich too (despite his salary of $1/year)... Nevermind
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

I do.
                          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                          Drake Tungsten
                          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                          Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                            who cares if the first IBM was pathetic... it IS what has carried us this far...
                            That is wrong.

The IBM PC set the development of microcomputers by about 10 years. Not only that, we are still stuck with that godawful x86 architecture.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The triumph of the IBM PC was surely that it freely allowed cloning. Do you really believe Microcomputers would be more developed if each hardware manufacturer had to have its own proprietary operating system?
                              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Working...
                              X