Was This Honorable? Stupid? Both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was This Honorable? Stupid? Both?

I'm pissed, and I'm blowing off steam by making a poll. Seems better than hitting someone right now; after all, we all know about Turkish prisons...

Anyway here's our topic: I have a job offer on the table for a job that will start in January. But my wife and I are academics on one-year contracts that get renewed every June. What to do? Well, we could have done the sneaky thing (as so many have before us at this university) and renewed our contract for a whole year, then quit suddenly in December; it would have been dishonorable and probably illegal, but not had any long-term ramifications. But noooooooo. We decided to do the honorable thing and tell the administration what was going on in our lives, then request that our contracts be extended for 6 months. I got renewed but, in spite of her exemplary service to the university, my wife did not. However, they would have renewed her for a whole year if we'd just been willing to lie to them.

You try to be honest. You try to have some moral fiber. And this is what you get. Damn damn damn damn damn.
    Honorable
    50.00%
    Stupid
    7.14%
    Both
    42.86%
    Banana-flavored
    0.00%
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Being honest at your job is a nono. You can be honest all you want in your privat life.
    Your job is the place where you get your money nothing else, Morals are irrelevant when it comes to working...
    If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

Lies make baby Jesus cry.

Comment

Re: Was This Honorable? Stupid? Both?

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
        You try to be honest. You try to have some moral fiber. And this is what you get. Damn damn damn damn damn.
        Ah yes honesty... use with caution

Comment

Do they need you bad? Blackmail?

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
            Do they need you bad? Blackmail?
            Alas, not that badly.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

10 years ago, I would have said do the honorable thing. But in today's world, companies show no loyalty anymore, so why should you. Unless your actions would get you the equivalent of an industry black ball, anything is fair game.

RAH
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I cannot possibly agree with rah more.

Comment

Working...
                X