No announcement yet.

who here reads the discworld novels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stefu, you have to be on crack - the Igors are brilliant, and his messing with time is easily some of the most intriguing writing to come around in a LONG TIME.
    The Thief Of Time is easily one of his all time best.
    The Colour Of Magic is an amazing novel. It completely changed everything for me. Maybe that's hyperbole though.
    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
    Drake Tungsten
    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
    Albert Speer

Comment

I'm going through a phase of reading them at the moment.

Death is the best, but I like Rincewind and the Watch too.

I'm reading a Witches book right now and it's a little lame, but still worth reading.

Sometimes I think my computer is Hex, I'm just waiting for it to give me a "+++MELON MELON MELON+++" error. It'll do it one day, I just know it!
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
        Rincewind is too bizarre.
        /me hands IW the dried frog pills.

Comment

/me wonders whether FP realises IW uses "The Bursar" as a handle on other forums...
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Stefu, you have to be on crack - the Igors are brilliant, and his messing with time is easily some of the most intriguing writing to come around in a LONG TIME.
            Brilliant? BRILLIANT? Is someone, perchance, currently beating your brains out with a SLEDGEHAMMER?

Pratchett wringed out EVERYTHING that might be funny about the whole concept of Igorhood by, oh, first third of Carpe Jugulum, and has tried to brutally rape the readers with leftovers for every single book with Igors innit afterwards. And that goddamn stupid accent GRATES on my nerves.

And the time stuff really does make my head hurt, which is not a good thing for a humor book to do.It just sounds like he's trying to be too clever by half.
            "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
            "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

* Immortal Wombat wonders whether FP realises IW uses "The Bursar" as a handle on other forums...
              Yes he does ... which is why he said it.

Plus, since you're a big Bursar fan I thought it odd that you described Rincewind as "too bizzare". Who's more bizzare than the Bursar?

Comment

I kinda liked Rincewind's stuff, until Interesting Times, when Pratchett basically said "let's basically make fun of other races and cultures and then hide behind the excuse of humor!" whereupon I gave up. I never read the Lost Continent but I wouldn't be surprised if it was every bit as incoherent and tired and generally ha-ha-racist as his earlier works. I never liked the Witches plots much, although the Ankh-Morpork guards stories were pretty good.

Death was always a welcome character, but quite a few of the stories with him in it just ended poorly.

Robert Rankin is pretty good, but neither of them really holds a candle to Douglas Adams (my other contemporary favorite).
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I hate the Death novels. They are the ones with the most offensive philosophy.

The City Watch and Rincewind ones 0wn.

I want to know what happened to Rincewind after he goes over the Rim!

Divine intervention.

Rincewind never dies, he always comes back, even from the Dungeon Dimension.

Well, he was summoned by someone trying to get a demon.

I really, really, really think Pratchett should scrap the Igors.

I really, really, really disagree. Igors are amazing.

I think that he needs a few explicitly male dwarfs in skirts.
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I love Death.

Comment

IMHO Llamedos is a wonderfull name for a country
                      "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

--"ok this is my first venture into the OT so I'm glad I haven't been eaten alive"

You're not spicy enough and besides, no one here owns a set of Luggage.

--"I want to know what happened to Rincewind after he goes over the Rim!'

Which time?

--"Sometimes I think my computer is Hex,"

My last computer was named Hex. It worked fine as long as it had the FTB.

--"I never read the Lost Continent "

You should. I know a few Australians online and they all seemed to enjoy the book. They're not stuck up enough to have problems laughing at themselves.
                        And it's not like Pratchett doesn't send up British culture enough. He's an equal opportunity satirist.

Wraith
                        :One of the universal rules of happiness is: always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual."
                        -- Terry Pratchett ("Jingo")

Comment

I liked the 'Color of Magic' and 'The Light Fantastic'... then I read 'Small Gods' and 'Equal Rites'.. eh. The first two I read were better.

It just seems like the same thing. It is mildly amusing, but not something I'm going to rush out and buy.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

dude - Small Gods was a work of pure genius! I'm not so hot on Equal Rites, but come on!
                            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                            Drake Tungsten
                            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                            Albert Speer

Comment

Rincewind is a lovable character because he's so human. Sure, he doesn't have any tricks, but that's precisely the point. He's this normal person who got caught in the big scheme of things and wants to get out with his skin intact.

Sam Vimes and Death are great characters too.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I'm reading carpe jugulum at the moment. Terry should REALLY make more witch books- they're my favourite! Witches abroad was just great.

Death's an alright character I guess, but his books aren't really much good in my opinion. Mort and Reaper man were pretty weak. Now the Susan book is another matter! Hogfather and Theif of time were great.

The worst book I think is Sourcery. Meh, it really didn't do much for me.

My favourite is either Witches abroad, Theif of time or Night watch. They all had that gripping thing to them where you can't put the book down.

oh, and the Igors rule! Don't dis. And they have to do all that. It's tradithional .

Comment

Working...
                                X