Alternate history - Russian Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate history - Russian Alaska

Suppose the sale of Alaska (for a mere $7.2 million in 1867; $90 million in today's money) never took place. What difference would a Soviet Alaska have made to the Cold War? And more importantly, how would America cope without all that oil salmon?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

I suppose there's at least a small chance that the Japanese would have grabbed it in 1905, which would give WW II and interesting American front...
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

that would be WWI, me thinks, since the US will take it by then.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Re: Alternate history - Russian Alaska

Originally posted by Big Crunch
        Suppose the sale of Alaska (for a mere $7.2 million in 1867; $90 million in today's money) never took place. What difference would a Soviet Alaska have made to the Cold War? And more importantly, how would America cope without all that oil salmon?
        One of the big motivating factors which the Russians had in selling Alaska to the U.S. (other then being in deeply in debt and needing the cash) was that the British were threatening to seize Alaska from the Russians. The Tsarist government thought it was better to sell Alaska to the Americans then let the British take it from them.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

A British Alaska would have been good as it would now be a part of Canada presumably. AS it is Alaska just looks silly being a thousand miles from the rest of the US. What's its nick - "The Freak State"?.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I always ask myself. What would have happened if alaska declared itself an independient state?
            -El patriotismo no es más que egoísmo en masa.
            -Al que me diga asesino, lo mato.
            -¿El sueño es la realidad, o la realidad es un sueño?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
              A British Alaska would have been good as it would now be a part of Canada presumably. AS it is Alaska just looks silly being a thousand miles from the rest of the US. What's its nick - "The Freak State"?.
              "The Last Frontier."

Comment

I always wonder what would have happened if we just cut the supply routes to Leningrad and hang Stalin.. and liberate SU, and then unite and oppose Hitlers plans...
                I was born 50 years too early.

Alaska.. hmm.. would be interesting if it was Russias territory.
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

If we didn't purchase Alaska, we wouldn't study "Seward's Folly" in High School history.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

One of the big motivating factors which the Russians had in selling Alaska to the U.S. (other then being in deeply in debt and needing the cash) was that the British were threatening to seize Alaska from the Russians. The Tsarist government thought it was better to sell Alaska to the Americans then let the British take it from them.
                    you must be from Alasaka to know that, or you like to study strange places

I always ask myself. What would have happened if alaska declared itself an independient state?
                    we wouldn't and its already been suggested, however at the time I was too young to remember so all I know is it didnt happen

Comment

If we didn't purchase Alaska, we wouldn't study "Seward's Folly" in High School history.
                      Very deep

It probably would of ended up as part of Canada, and would be as uninteresting as Saschawan (and would probably been named something as unspellable [is that a word])

Also, once gold was discovered there... Americans would of grabbed it any way, maybe a US vs. Canada war... That would be kewl. Lots of implinetations off of that too...
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
                        you must be from Alasaka to know that, or you like to study strange places
                        I really like history and I read an average of four or five different books a month. Reading that much means you pick up on all sorts of worthless little pieces of trivia.

Comment

Working...
                        X