Dr. Robert C. Atkins Dies at 72

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Robert C. Atkins Dies at 72

I'm sure a lot of you have heard the news already, but for those who haven't I wanted to start a thread. My personal dietary hero died

Robert C. Atkins, M.D., World-Famous Nutrition Expert
    and Best-Selling Author, Dies at 72

NEW YORK, NY—April 17, 2003—Dr. Robert C. Atkins, one of the pioneers of complementary medicine in the United States and one of the most famous, successful and enduring nutrition experts of the last 40 years, died on April 17, 2003 in New York City at the age of 72. Dr. Atkins was the founder of The Atkins Center for Complementary Medicine and Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. He also authored more than a dozen health and nutrition books, including Dr. Atkins’ New Diet Revolution, one of the 50 best-selling books of all time, and Atkins for Life. Released earlier this year, Atkins for Life quickly joined Dr. Atkins’ New Diet Revolution on The New York Times bestseller list. The cause of death was related to head trauma from an accident that occurred while Dr. Atkins was on his way to work.

The serious snowstorm that hit New York City the day before the incident, along with unseasonably cold temperatures, left streets and sidewalks slippery. As was his daily habit, Dr. Atkins walked from his home to his office, a distance of about one mile. At approximately 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday, April 8, 2003, he fell and hit his head, suffering severe head trauma. Keith Berkowitz, M.D., a colleague at The Atkins Center for Complementary Medicine, was arriving at work at the same time, and was able to rush Dr. Atkins to the hospital within minutes. The doctors at the hospital emergency room determined that Dr. Atkins had suffered a subdural hematoma and that surgery was required to remove the blood clot from his brain. He survived for several days but eventually succumbed to complications.

One thing I was wondering during this whole tragedy and especially today when Dr. Atkins died, is if the Atkins way of life will survive his death? He was the biggest PR guy for the diet, appearing publicly very often and writing books about his diet. I heard today that nine million americans are said to be following the Atkins diet.

I know wendy's is making do without Dave Thomas, but can The Atkins Philosophy survive without its main man?

If it can't, it wasn't worth following in the first place.

Time will tell.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Too bad he didnt die of heart failure instead.. That would have been funny (hey if he had to go, might as well as go in a funny way). That and I could have said:

"No one wants to die at the age of 72 these days... " to your question.

Too bad he died of an accident (as in its unfourtunate i mean.. Im not THAT heartless )
      :-p

Comment

I heard he slipped on a piece of bologna and slipped into a coma .
        "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
        - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard

Comment

**shrug** I've always wondered just *how* one's kidneys could handle processing so much protein if one partook of the "high protein, low carb" approach to dieting. One would figure the kidneys would give out eventually, much as one's pancreas eventually quits making insulin (or the body grows resistant to the hormone) if all you do is eat carbs.

Gatekeeper
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Cutting down the starches and carbs in processed foods is good. But the whole "I can stuff myself with protein-rich foods" thing is bad. Sorry to hear about this though. I saw Atkins on Larry King Live, he looked like a nice guy.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

All indications are that he was a decent person. Shame he is gone. I know so many people on his diet and I have to admit it seems to work. It is almost commonplace now in our cafeteria to hear someone request a cheeseburger without a bun or fries. Still seems strange to me though.

Comment

i think the atkins diet is just too gross...i did eat a 20x20(20 patties, 20 slices of cheese) at in and out burger one time but i stopped eating meat for 6 months after that.
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I think I eat more cheese than meat.

Comment

mmmmmm cheese!
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Its sad that he is dead, he was one of the few people who had a different theory on dieting. Ive even talked to doctors about it (my mom works for a hospital so she has a lot of doctor friends) and they said that it works, but really more research needs to be done on it.

on a personal note, I tried his diet for 2 days but got really sick for a week afterwards (got the flu) and didnt bother with it again.

Comment

I'm a cheese-a-holic.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

RIP

This guy is a genius way ahead of his time.

It was nice he finally began to get some mainstream acceptance for his ideas near the end.

Comment

Working...
                          X