Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finns! Tell me about your women's suffrage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finns! Tell me about your women's suffrage!

I decided to do some research on Finnish women's suffrage for a pre-Civil War history class I'm taking. Don't ask why it's relevant, it's extra credit.

I was curious if Finns here wanted to brag about how advanced their country is, especially compared to America on the topic. Apparently you all gave women the vote in 1906.

Any insightful links or resources would be much appreciated. Of course, if you all just want to brag, that's cool too.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

The Finns are all asleep now since it is 0120 in Finland.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well when they wake up.

That's why I'm shouting also.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        The finns of here would never sleep at a mere 02:20
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Yeah, I don't have a life for example, I am allways up at random huors. Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute about it, I only remember that we were second in the world, New Zealand 1st? I even got the year wrong, I thought it was 1905.

Comment

Bah. I could brag about how our president is a woman and how our next prime minister is also going to be a woman... but I slept through all the history classes regarding this subject ... I'd recommend just doing a Google search for finnish women's suffrage or something like that
            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Well, women got the right to vote, and, well, yes. They got the right to vote.

And it's not our "next" prime minister, it's our current prime minister
              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala
                Bah. I could brag about how our president is a woman and how our next prime minister is also going to be a woman... but I slept through all the history classes regarding this subject ... I'd recommend just doing a Google search for finnish women's suffrage or something like that
                Yes, I would also brag if I wouldn't be so ashamed.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                  Finns are nocturnal, didn't you know?
                  Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Finland had been quite comfortable under autonomy from Russia until 1899 when "russification" of Finland really began at full force.

The finns understandably did not like the idea, but could not really do anything about it; until Russia lost war to Japan. Things got unstable in Russia, and finns got their chance.
                    So finns went in to a nationwide strike. All parties united against bigger threat. Russians didn't want the disorder to spread and gave in.
                    Finns got senate and elections. Russians still got veto and power to dismiss the senate, which left this arrangement rather temporary.

Much of the credit probably goes to labour party, which changed its name in 1903 to Social Democratic Party and opted pretty progressive programme of principles including elements like right to vote for all citizens over age of 21, free speech, public schools, separation of church and state, public health care, removal of all limits on womens rights, and prohibitionary liquor law.
                    "In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison

Comment

There were a lot of women's unions emerging along with labour unions in the beginning of the century, which probably played their part in getting rights for women.
                      There had been many improvements on women's rights already in the past 20 years.
                      "In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison

Comment

Finnish women suffer every night.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

If there were only Finns to date, I'd be a suffering woman too...

"mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                          Drake Tungsten
                          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                          Albert Speer

Comment

Finnish women are in purgatory.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Yes they suffer sometimes because I was lucky enough *kissing stars and thanks for the genes* to get a massive beast.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X