Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Unfunny Factor" (makes Trent Lott look like MLK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Unfunny Factor" (makes Trent Lott look like MLK)

The Unfunny Factor

By Lloyd Grove

Tuesday, April 15, 2003; Page C03

Maybe Bill O'Reilly should declare a "No-Quip Zone."

Emceeing Saturday night's Best Friends rock-and-roll gala at the Marriott Wardman Park -- which raised $800,000 for the 15-year-old charity benefiting inner-city schoolchildren -- the Fox News Channel star was trying to fill dead air during a lull in the entertainment.

Members of the "Best Men," as the sixth-to-eighth-grade boys in the program are called, were delayed getting onstage to perform a lip-synced rendition of the Four Tops standard "Reach Out (I'll Be There)." O'Reilly ad-libbed: "Does anyone know where the Best Men are? I hope they're not in the parking lot stealing our hubcaps."

Many in the audience -- which included Cabinet secretaries Tommy Thompson, Gale Norton and Mel Martinez, Mayor Tony Williams and business types Fred Malek and Jim Kimsey -- apparently didn't hear about the hubcaps amid the hubbub. A witness spotted attendee Bo Derek's jaw dropping, and yesterday she confirmed that she did hear it, but declined to comment further. Channel 9 anchor Andrea Roane was overheard murmuring: "Unbelievable."

"To say that this conservative audience -- dominated undoubtedly by many of Mr. O'Reilly's biggest fans -- was aghast, is an understatement," one attendee e-mailed us, asking for anonymity. "The well-known Republican politicians and their spouses seated at or near my table were appalled."

Yesterday O'Reilly told us: "This is ridiculous and foolish. No good deed goes unpunished. If you guys want to snipe at me, then snipe at me. This thing raised a lot of money for a good charity. Everybody was happy. I don't want to comment on anything else."

Best Friends founder Elayne Bennett, wife of virtues czar William Bennett, said O'Reilly has donated $60,000 to the program over the past 1 1/2 years, including a $5,000 check he handed over Saturday: "Bill has been wonderful to these boys. He puts his money where his mouth is. He's a New York guy. He was a schoolteacher in the New York City public schools. He loves these kids."

As for O'Reilly's attempt at humor, Bennett told us: "I didn't hear it, but it was absolutely a throwaway line."

Ahhh, O'Reilly conducts himself in such a professional manner, in tune with the honorable network in which he works for.

Since O'Reilly donates, I'll limit my bashing. He is definitely afflicted with "Foot in Mouth" disease.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

It was a tasteless joke, but pretty damn funny.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Yeah it was
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I can't stand the guy. He irritates the hell out of me. Therefore, I avoid him like the plague.

I'd rather listen to Rush Limbaugh. Think about that for a second.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Stupid ****er.
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I'm glad I don't know who he is.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Not really on a par with Lott, IMO. There's a pretty big difference between insinuating that inner-city kids are thieves while actively raising funds for inner-city kids and insinuating that segregation was a good idea while at the birthday party of a segregationist. I mean, hell, if O'Reilly had insinuated that inner-city kids are thieves on his talk show then nobody would have even batted an eyelash.
              Last edited by loinburger; April 17, 2003, 16:32.
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                I'm glad I don't know who he is.
                I didn't know who he was either...

until now. Now I know him as "that stupid ****er."

"You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
                  Not really on a par with Lott, IMO. There's a pretty big difference between insinuating that inner-city kids are thieves while actively raising funds for inner-city kids and insinuating that segregation was a good idea while at the birthday party of a segregationist. I mean, hell, if O'Reilly had insinuated that inner-city kids are thieves on his talk show then nobody would have even batted an eyelash.
                  Shut up. We're having fun bashing the stupid ****er.

I'm really just looking for an excuse to say "stupid ****er" a few more times, but I will also seriously answer the post.

Lott's comment is extremely vague. "All these problems" could refer to pretty much anything. The stupid ****er (5 times now ) was blatant.

Comment

While it was good O'reilly participated in fund raising oriented towards help for these people, his joke shows the utter contempt he has for them.

With such a contempt, I son't think O'reilly's motivations by doing this charity were noble at all. Yet, one has to acknowledge it reamins good if his participation actually brought more money to the charity.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Jesus, none of you stupid ****ers has a sense of humor...

Loinburger excluded, of course. It's physically impossible for a man with that avatar to have a stick up his ass.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Anybody who pays attention to O'Reilly can only blame themselves for being offended. What exactly do you think an incompetent blow-hard does for a living?
                        When one is someone, why should one want to be something?
                        ~Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Anybody who pays attention to O'Reilly can only blame themselves for being offended. What exactly do you think an incompetent blow-hard does for a living?

Amen to that. Don't you guys remember when O'Reilly was host of "Inside Edition"? His credibility went out the window a long time ago...
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

No-one short of Michael Jackson's plastic surgeon could make Lott look like MLK.
                            "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior

Shut up. We're having fun bashing the stupid ****er.

I'm really just looking for an excuse to say "stupid ****er" a few more times, but I will also seriously answer the post.

Lott's comment is extremely vague. "All these problems" could refer to pretty much anything. The stupid ****er (5 times now ) was blatant.

Is that the American stupid ****er?

Or the British stupid ****er?

ACK!
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                              X