X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia wants Iraqi children to starve - because of oil

Russia against lifting UN sanctions on Iraq: source
    Thu Apr 17, 8:16 AM ET

MOSCOW (AFP) - Russia will not support a US proposal to lift UN sanctions on Iraq (news - web sites) if UN inspectors do not confirm the country has no weapons of mass destruction, a Russian foreign ministry official said.

"Regime change in Baghdad is not a condition for lifting economic sanctions on Iraq," the official told the Interfax news agency on condition of anonymity.

"There is a UN Security Council resolution for this, which clearly stipulates the disarmament of Iraq -- something international inspectors must decide," he said, adding that Russia supported the return of UN inspectors.

US President George W. Bush (news - web sites) said Wednesday he would soon propose a UN resolution ending the 12-year-old crippling economic sanctions, which put an embargo on the trade of Iraqi oil.

Russia -- a fierce opponent to the US-led war that earlier cast doubt on US accusations that Iraq possessed biological, chemical or nuclear weapons -- fears opening the floodgates of Iraqi oil could hurt its own economy, which is heavily reliant on oil exports.

It has called for the United Nations (news - web sites) to play a central role in the reconstruction of post-war Iraq, also fearing lucrative contracts could end up in the hands of the US-led coalition that ousted Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein (news - web sites).

Dmitry Rogozin, head of parliament's foreign affairs committee, said the US announcement that it favored lifting sanctions less than one week after the fall of Baghdad and Saddam's regime seemed "wrong" and "mercenary."

"We should determine just what the United State is after -- something seem wrong, the approach is too mercenary," he was quoted by Interfax as saying.

"Today the United Nations controls practically nothing in Iraq, so the sanctions will actually be lifted not from Russian companies -- which should be working in the region -- but from Americans, who will be given the juciest parts of the Iraqi oil industry," he said.

The United Nations imposed sweeping sanctions on Iraq after Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait in August 1990. They included a ban on all trade with Iraq, an embargo on its oil exports and an arms embargo.

Bush also called for an end to the UN-administered "oil-for-food" program, which since 1996 has enabled Iraq to export limited amounts of oil and use the revenues to buy basic humanitarian supplies.

It's just plain ghastly. What kind of sick country is willing to murder children to protect its oil oligarchs?
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

The one you live in?
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Well, yeah, that too. But also Russia.

Comment

Here's a question. If we ignored the embargo and traded with Iraq anyways, who would have the balls to stop us?

Comment

A more correct answer: every country that has oil oligarchs.

8.32/10

But it is obviously wrong.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Felch, if it was the oppisite way do you think this would have been a news item?
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Here's a question. If we ignored the embargo and traded with Iraq anyways, who would have the balls to stop us?

just like in the War on Iraq, noone.

The US should go to the UNSC, and try to vote on it. And then make a fuss of it, if someone vetoes it down ( And for good reason, too! )

Felch: It's just plain ghastly. What kind of sick country is willing to murder children to protect its oil oligarchs?

Che:The one you live in?

Felch:Well, yeah, that too. But also Russia.

ROTFLMAO.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

The one you live in ?

"There is a UN Security Council resolution for this, which clearly stipulates the disarmament of Iraq -- something international inspectors must decide,"
                Seems like somone is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Prerequisite for lifting the sanctions is a that Iraq has no WMA. Someone claimed that the WMA's of Iraq are a clear and present danger.

Now, the same someone hasn't been able to find and destruct them. As long this someone is not able to declare Iraq free of WMA's, there's no way, that those sanctions are lifted.

But I don't think that children will suffer anymore. The oil-for-food programme will at last be able to do what's it supposed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                  Felch, if it was the oppisite way do you think this would have been a news item?
                  How many times was the US criticized for sanctions that killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children?

Yes it would be a news item. Besides, this is AFP, which I think is French.

Comment

ok, but would you have been inclined to make a troll out of it
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by yago
                      The oil-for-food programme will at last be able to do what's it supposed to do.
                      The oil-for-food program is designed more to line the UN's pockets than anything else. The Iraqi people would be better off with an Alaskan system - parts of oil profits are given to the people just for living there. The rest are stashed away in trust for when the oil runs out.

And no, MRT, I would let Paiktis troll in that case.

Comment

but no one takes paiktis seriously, i would hate to see you fall victim to style of antics

Comment

Nobody should take a man who calls himself Felch seriously either. Think about it.

Comment

SOME people still banging the "This is oil" drum? Amazing.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

then all your posts are a wash and you should just leave apolyton

im pointing to the door right now

Comment

Working...
                              X