SARS pathogen confirmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lancer
    Sava's mom is on the case. I feel safer already. Sava, this makes you Apolyton's foremost authority on the subject. Keep us informed!
    Sorry that members of my family are directly involved in this story instead of sitting on their ass watching FoxNews.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

ive taken a liking to walking around and coughing then saying "Damn SARS, i wonder if ill get any worse" in public mind you.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

A collegue of mine (an MD so not too up on actual science) in infectious disease who has the office beside me has also 'wondered whether SARS was a bioterrorist plot'. I managed to refrain from calling him an idiot while pointing out how unlikely it is.

Sava, I have some expertise in this field but I have no idea how you can make that claim. Unless the molecular biologists making the new strain decide to leave markers of their work I cant think of any way to differentiate a natural recombination event (as this probably was) from one done in a lab.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

From what I have been told, the pathogen's DNA is too complex for someone to fine tune it. It's possible, but extremely unlikely that the DNA was modified in such a way to make it a weapon. One would have had to map the Genome, then find out which combinations of DNA gave it it's properties. Pathogens like these mutate all the time. Again it's possible, but I've been told I have a better chance of winning the lottery.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Wow, only took two posts to turn this into yet another Bash America thread. UR, congrats on your restraint in the first post.

Comment

Who's DL are you again?

Not Bash-America... bash American Pharmaceutical companies. These companies don't hold the same values of freedom, democracy, and rule of law. Nice try though.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The best reason not to believe its engineered is simply that it's not very effective. 4% lethality is not high enough for a bio-weapon.
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

What's with the DL thing, Sava? That's like three times now. Give it up or at least find a different emoticon to post.

Are there no French, German, British, Canadian or Russia phamaceutical companies? Or are the only evil ones American?

Comment

American companies are the worst... although I bashed the German "Bayer" in my Halliburton thread. BTW I jokingly call you a DL because you are a settler with a join date of Feb 2003. OT posters that suddenly appear and don't post in the on-topic forums are always suspect and subject to DL accusations.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Did somebody snow you?

Originally posted by Sava
                      From what I have been told, the pathogen's DNA is too complex for someone to fine tune it.
                      The virus has RNA, not DNA.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

OK. I actually did spend my first few weeks in the on-topic world but this place sucked me in quickly. I also just recently discovered that most of my 86 posts don't count because they are here! Foul, say I!

Perhaps I kneejerked about the anti-American thing. It's a popular sport around here apparently.

Comment

Re: Did somebody snow you?

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

The virus has RNA, not DNA.
                          wouldn't be the first time...
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

SARS, Look at me

In respirator I believe.

Comment

Working...
                            X