Bush, the environmental president.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gsmoove23
    People follow money whether they're big industry or individual consumers. A minority of people will buy the more expensive environmentally correct products but not enough to make a subtantial difference.

The assumption that targetting business and industry doesn't effect the consumer is wrong. Whatever costs are taken on by business will be passed on to the consumer. Its trickle down economics people!
    Yes, I'll concede part of that. There is a balance. But I think the tide is starting to turn on the whole concept of hybrid cars. The demand is out there. (in california anyway ) And once there is demand, that will have a bigger impact on business then the government. Because you're right, people will follow the money. Think back when the Japanese almost took over the American car market. It was a combo of fuel efficiency and inexpensive. Then later quality was added on top.
    Don't think that that lesson has been totally forgotten. Look how it changed the american car makers.

RAH
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Rah, I see your point but I also see demand moving FAR to slowly. A little strong-arming is necessary in this case for both industry and the consumer.

Edit - and your example of japanese cars shows people following money or economic concerns, as opposed to far more esoteric threats like damage to the environment that a good amount of people aren't willing to even accept is happening, including it seems our president. Even with this bill his most important reason for it seems to be limiting asthma attacks. Any mention of global warming?
      Last edited by gsmoove23; April 16, 2003, 15:26.

Comment

re: Hybrid Cars. I think they will take off when they are produced in good numbers and there is a hybrid alternative to the big cars. I mean, how many people buy Honda Civics anyway (ok, a lot, but there are plenty of other cars out there). When you have two cars of relative price and looks, and one can save you a ****load of money on fuel, I'm sure the hybrid will win out.

It's just going to be a gradual process, but I'm sure just about every car will be hybrid by 2015.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Holy cow, I just double checked and there is absolutely no mention of global warming. Its handled completely as a public health issue. Mention of asthma and carcinogens but nothing else. Does anyone know if the bill will actually reduce any global warming elements in emissions?

"This action represents a strong commitment from the Bush administration to take the next step to achieve cleaner air and protect the health of all Americans, especially the health of children and the elderly who are more susceptible to diesel pollution," Whitman said.

Comment

It probably will, but diesal is more known for cause respitory problems. It is actually BETTER in terms of global warming than regular petrolium. So the global warming effects probably won't be that great, compared to the effects it will have on reducing respitory problems and cancer.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I'm just wondering if the lack of mention has to do with Bush not wanting to publicly admit that global warming is actually happening.

Comment

He's already spoken about global warming, so I doubt the veracity of that conspiracy theory .

Comment

Life is far too uninteresting without conspiracy theories, I'll have to look into this...

Comment

The main reason is probably because no one (except environmental groups) care about global warming (at least THAT much). For such a DRASTIC reduction, there had to be more compelling reasons. Cancer and Asthma were right there .

Comment

Working...
                    X