No announcement yet.

"Activist" sentenced to 18 years for Fortuyn assassination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If 9-11 had occured in NL, and one of the hijackers miraculously survived, I suspect he would get more than eighteen years.

He might even get twenty.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The logic behind the length of the sentence (personally, I think that 18 years is a long sentence, but it seems that most of you disagree) is somewhat unusual, but makes a bit of sense when you think about it; van der Graaf has committed murder, for which he should be punished, but he's not likely to go on a rampage, murdering people left, right and centre. The only reason I can think of for a life sentence is if the person in question is a such a danger to society that they must be incarcerated for as long as they live so as to protect the public. In this case, I think 18 years is a long enough sentence (I think van der Graaf should serve the whole sentence without hope of early release, however).

*Puts on flame-proof coat
      "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

People who commit murder with ideological/political/religious motives should be put to death.
        In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
        In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

Originally posted by August Borms
          People who commit murder with ideological/political/religious motives should be put to death.
          Is that an ideological or political belief?
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Unbelievable.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

Is that an ideological or political belief?
              Death penalty isn't murder
              In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
              In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

Lifesentences in the Netherlands have never been given to first offenders.

Some quotes from the judge in the verdict:

"In our country we very reluctantly put people away for life. The perpetrator of even such a serious crime must be given perspective (hope) on returning to society"

"there is no evidence that others were involved in the murder"

"The murder has had an impact on the democratic process in the elections in may 2002, but not to such a degree that that the (existance of) democracy (in the Netherlands) itself has been under threat"

The court judged that the threat of Volkert van der Graaf commiting a similar crime in the future was not likely.

Despite popular belief, an 18 year sentence is not the same as a 12 year sentence. The guy MAY be released from prison in 12 years, it is however by no means that he will be a free man then.

I think the judge has ruled wisely.
                "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

He may be released after 12 years, but he will be hunted down for the rest of his life.

The only good night of sleep this idiot is going to get is when he's doing his time.

Personaly I still think they should have let him walk free, lets see how long he can survive

Comment

bah, when he gets released in 12 years, the ppl. will have forgotten about him and nothing else happens.
                    If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

THIS is why Americans think Europeans are stupid 12 years for an assassination is a joke.

Comment

Has anyone ever assassinated an American president and survived?
                        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

How quickly they forget.
                          Hinckley's still alive, but he's locked up tight in the looney bin.

Comment

How quickly they forget.
                            Usama Bin Laden

Morale of the story: Threadjack isn't fun.
                            Last edited by RGBVideo; April 16, 2003, 00:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Hanson
                              The logic behind the length of the sentence (personally, I think that 18 years is a long sentence, but it seems that most of you disagree) is somewhat unusual, but makes a bit of sense when you think about it; van der Graaf has committed murder, for which he should be punished, but he's not likely to go on a rampage, murdering people left, right and centre. The only reason I can think of for a life sentence is if the person in question is a such a danger to society that they must be incarcerated for as long as they live so as to protect the public. In this case, I think 18 years is a long enough sentence (I think van der Graaf should serve the whole sentence without hope of early release, however).

*Puts on flame-proof coat
                              If your legal system is built solely on the idea of protecting individuals from immediate harm, then you are probably right. If the legal system serves as some sort of deterrent, or looks beyond an act's effects on individuals and looks at the implications for the larger society then a stiffer sentence seems to be called for.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Felch X
                                Has anyone ever assassinated an American president and survived?
                                For how long?
                                He's got the Midas touch.
                                But he touched it too much!
                                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                                X