X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Miller
    umm, Willem, Odin doesn't have a clue about what he is talking about

Jon Miller
    Not to many people do when you start discussing quantum physics. I admit it leaves me largely baffled when I try to understand it.

Comment

ack

I can't let this be

most particles have both rest energy (ie mass) and momentum (and thus energy greater than rest energy)

while it is true that the photon is a Boson, there are many more Bosons that do have rest energy

the main difference between fermions and bosons is what sort of statistics they follow, (fermi-Dirac or Bose-Einstein)

the out growth of this is the pauli exclusion principle, which says that any two fermions cannot be in the same state

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

I'm 17 and I just stumped a Physics Major. Read A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawkins to see what I'm talking about.
        I am a grad student

my response was an indication of my confusion as to how you got the perception that bosons are particles of energy and fermions are particles of matter

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

Not to many people do when you start discussing quantum physics. I admit it leaves me largely baffled when I try to understand it.
          it's not too bad

check out the lecture series I suggested

really the best way to go about is to do so slowly and from the base up, trying to jump in at the top will only igve oyu silly misconceptions

I presonally like my textbook by Townsend, but it would probably be ebst to see some modern/begining QM first

my QM classes actually have been my easier classes recently

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
            ack

I can't let this be

most particles have both rest energy (ie mass) and momentum (and thus energy greater than rest energy)

while it is true that the photon is a Boson, there are many more Bosons that do have rest energy

the main difference between fermions and bosons is what sort of statistics they follow, (fermi-Dirac or Bose-Einstein)

the out growth of this is the pauli exclusion principle, which says that any two fermions cannot be in the same state

Jon Miller
            MY BAD!!!

Comment

I think I'll stick to Biology, Physics has too much math for me.

Comment

don't give up on physics

I know a number of people who like physics and dont' love math (even tohugh loving math does help)

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Jon:

photons are both particles and waves (There is duality there)
                  I read an article once that talked about how the 'scientific community' ended the photon debate by saying that:

"A photon behaves as a particle under certain circumstances."
                  "A photon behaves as a wave under certain circumstances."

I thought this was a fairly novel way to state things, rather than saying 'both' or 'neither'. It also carries a bit of a philosophical connotation, regarding duality and relativity and all that jazz.

What does this have to do with anything? I don't know, but for some reason it just came to my mind when I read that line.
                  "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                  "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                  "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

I could never figure out how matter is a state of energy.

It just doesn't seem to make sense.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Am I the only one who finds it ironic to go into (deep)space using sails???
                      I do hope we don't encounter any aliens on that trip, hell, we'd be the laughing stock of the whole universe...
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                        I could never figure out how matter is a state of energy.

It just doesn't seem to make sense.
                        E=MC^2

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                          Am I the only one who finds it ironic to go into (deep)space using sails???
                          I do hope we don't encounter any aliens on that trip, hell, we'd be the laughing stock of the whole universe...
                          Nah, other civilizations will probably be using them too. They are a very efficent means of travel; a good ion drive wouldn't be too bad either, but the acceleration sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                            I think that someone did the calculations on this and determined that it wouldn't supply enough power.
                            All you need to do is to accelerate at 1g half the way and slow down at 1g the other half. The good thing is when the ship gets close to c time slows down.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                            X