Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's a simple, but good idea (US Tax Policy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australia just fines people $50 if they don't vote.
    We get record voter turnouts every year.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Good idea Ming

What did the Athenians do? I seem to remember them having Persian slaves who would run around gathering up citizens with lassos and dragging them to do their civic duties. Maybe there's a use for those Guantanamo prisoners...

Comment

Sounds like a good idea actually, although I do agree with Spiffor that it might make taxes a bigger electoral issue.

As for voting, I do not think it is right for people to get fined because they don't vote. If people don't vote it is because political parties have failed to convince these people that it is worth spending some time filling a ballot, and that is really sad, because it showes a political system without faith.

Until people actually sense that political parties are in it for the good of the country and not for their own agendas, will voter turnouts be low. Blame the parties for their ineptitude, not the voters for their apathy.
        A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Australia just fines people $50 if they don't vote.
          We get record voter turnouts every year.

urgh.NSFW

Comment

in chile we do the same thing, around 50 bucks too....but its not obligation to vote if you are not inscribed
            anyway, is very easy not to pay that fine, all you have to do is say you were 200 Km. away from your voting table
            "7. Sobre todo tipo de cosas que no entendemos, mejor es callarse" Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico-Phylosophycus
            "Mas vale un pajaro en la mano....que papa a los quince"
            "No se que armas se usaran en la tercera guerra mundial, pero si se que la cuarta sera con piedras y palos"
            "Recuerde, un pais que tiene principios, tiene fin"

Comment

Well, I just finished doing my income tax. I'll write out the check after I've cashed my paycheck for this pay period. $2600.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

It is interesting that tax day is roughly 6 months away from election day... Was that just a coincidence?

Comment

I like the fine for not voting.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                    It is interesting that tax day is roughly 6 months away from election day... Was that just a coincidence?

It takes me six months to get over being pissed about the 44K I gave the federal government for last year.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm in favor of it if it doesn't cost too much or create too much of a hassle.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If people are really mad about their taxes, then they will remember in time for election. If they are only slightly mad, and the date is changed to november, then you will have more people voting anti tax because it is still fresh in their minds. Which of course gives the republican and libertarian parties a boost, while putting down the democrats, and the greens.
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                        X