How can you possibly be an athiest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you possibly be an athiest?

Maybe it's just a matter of semantics but if athiests claim to believe in science, how can they be athiests as athiesm (defined as believing in no god) is blind faith as there is no proff that there is not a God?

thanks
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Define "believe".
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

There's not proof that there is a God either. Even if there is a higher power, there's no proof it's your God. It may even be gods.

I've yet to hear any argument for a God that can't be refuted nor any experience that proves God beyond any doubt. Ergo, no God as far as I'm currently concerned.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Or to put it in a less negative light, atheism is blind acceptance that the laws of physics are applicable everywhere (and at every time), with absolutely no evidence.

Comment

Re: How can you possibly be an athiest?

Originally posted by Albert Speer
          but if athiests claim to believe in science
          If you mean atheists they don´t claim to "believe" in science. IIRC Atheism means the absence of belief in God, not neccessarily the belief in something else as substitute.

However, there may be people who really "believe" in science, but that is another story.
          Blah

Comment

/me puts up a sign: "Don't throw bones under the bridge", then climbs into a foxhole *
            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

My bad... I didn't mean believe in science as in a christian believes in God... I meant if Athiests claim that there is no God based on Science then that would be invalid because science can not disprove the existance of God.

By saying that there is without a doubt no God places athiests in the same category as fundamentalists... they got blind faith in what can not be proven or disproven
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, atheism is the belief there is no god. Such a belief don't take its source necessarily from science. An atheist can be skeptical about science too. At least, I am (I think the belief our science can explain everything is as absurd as the belief in God).
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

It certainly is a matter of semantics, in my eyes. People on both sides of this take things way too litterally.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Since the burden of proof lies with the proponent of an assertion, we'll wait for the believers to show us that there is a god.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                      By saying that there is without a doubt no God places athiests in the same category as fundamentalists... they got blind faith in what can not be proven or disproven
                      No, it hasn´t to do with faith, they just refuse to believe in something without having positive proof about its existance.
                      Blah

Comment

Maybe it's just a matter of semantics but if athiests claim to believe in science, how can they be athiests as athiesm (defined as believing in no god) is blind faith as there is no proff that there is not a God?

It's not as if i have a giant hole in my personal worldview with "Insert God Here - Failure to Use a Genuine Hewlett-Packard God May Damage the Universe and Void the Warranty" imprinted in it.

One doesn't need blind faith to ignore a philosophical assertion that contradicts all the facts one knows about the Universe.

I meant if Athiests claim that there is no God based on Science then that would be invalid because science can not disprove the existance of God.

It can't disprove the existence of invisible and intangible pink dragons named Lance, but I don't hear you people harping on about that.

(I think the belief our science can explain everything is as absurd as the belief in God)

Well, it can explain everything in this Universe and that's good enough for me.
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Who cares, Albert ?

Let the little bastards burn for eternity.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Albert Speer - that is why I tend to respect agnostics more than atheists on initial meeting.
                            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                            Drake Tungsten
                            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                            Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                              Albert Speer - that is why I tend to respect agnostics more than atheists on initial meeting.
                              Agnostics are just afraid of making clear decisions
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X