Anything Happening in Aberytswyth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything Happening in Aberytswyth?

Or however that center of sheep "herding" is called.

I've got a history professor who is spending the weekend there, and I wanted some inside information to freak her the hell out with.

Bod's hasn't been on in a while, was he banned or something?

Anyways, I have the horrible feeling that absolutely nothing is going on. But if there are any cool local events, I'd love to be able to scare my prof with my pseudo-intimate knowledge of a far-off Welsh town.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Aberystwyth is the principal holiday resort and administrative centre of the west coast of Wales. It is also home to the University of Wales Aberystwyth and the National Library.The town is nestled between three hills and two beaches and hosts some castle ruins, a pier and a harbour. The surrounding hills hold the visible remains of an iron age fort and also a monument to Wellington and once climbed offer stunning views of Cardigan Bay.Aberystwyth is a University town with some seven thousand students, ensuring it a vibrant throughout the year and not just during summertime. Incidentally, there are now ‘only’ fifty pubs left in Aberystwyth!The seafront hosts Victorian / Edwardian buildings mostly 4/5 stories high. The wide promenade protects the buildings from the revenge of the Irish Sea and offers space to sit, soak up the sun and view the surrounding hills and mountains which in winter are often covered in snow. On a clear day, you may see the tallest mountain in Wales, Snowdon.

No sh*t.

Comment

Saddam and Osama are holding secret meetings there, but don't tell anyone.
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

I can tell you where some of the pubs and supermarkets are.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Wow, that looks boring.

Comment

felch, not as boring as a town that shares the same name as my friend, cooper downs. heres the bar:

"I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

You got the s and the t the wrong way around by the way.

Aberystwyth has the highest ratio of books per person in any British town.
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

This is a better link anyway...
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Pier points NorthWest not West
                  No you can't see Ireland from Aber
                  No, not even on a clear day!
                  Curvature of the earth and all that
                  (Those 'islands' are the tops of the hill's of North Wales)
                  Yes you can see Snowdon from Aber
                  you need to be on the prom near the pier or in the castle grounds or better still on top of Consti' and it's almost exactly North
                  oh yes, and it needs to be a clear day.
                  There is only 30° of open sea at Aberystwyth
                  The other 150° lead across Cardigan Bay then back to Welsh land
                  Yes it does snow in Aber
                  just not very often
                  The trees lining either side of North Parade are ' Whitebeam'
                  Aber isn't in the county of Dyfed
                  Dyfed does has not existed since 1996, it's in Ceredigion
                  don't care what your computerized Postcode2address program tells you, Dyfed is no longer a county.
                  Aber' is the largest town in Ceredigion
                  Ceredigion County Council isn't based in Aber
                  It's based in Aberaron, but they do have some offices in Aber
                  Aber' isn't the oldest university in Wales
                  Lampeter got its charter over 50 years earlier
                  No it's not the oldest university college in the University of Wales
                  Lampeter is a a member of the University of Wales
                  Aber is the oldest of the founding member of the University of Wales
                  they didn't let Lampeter join for over 70 years
                  The mosaic on southern corner of the old college represents Archimedies receiving emblems of modern science and industry
                  Prince Charles did not study for his degree in Aber
                  (that was Cambridge) but he spent the summer term of 1969 learning some Welsh here before his investerature as Prince of Wales
                  You can't get a degree in Theology from Aber Uni.
                  The Theological College in independent of the Uni'
                  You can no longer get a degree from Aber' in
                  Chemistry
                  Geology
                  Electronics
                  Philosophy
                  Italian
                  Russian
                  Portuguese
                  Greek
                  Music . . . . . . . .
                  All these departments have either been closed down or reduced to non degree awarding status
                  No there aren't secret tunnels running from the National Library running under town.
                  There's a hollowed out short tunnel below the National Library that does not even reach the National Library
                  Aber is the town with the highest ratio of books to people in the World
                  most being locked away in the National Library
                  No there weren't riots when Roberts brewery stopped production in the 1960's
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Old College:

National Library:

And where it is...
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Beautiful, something to tell her. She'll think I have informants in the oddest of places.

Comment

Bodds - you mean Aber is part of a giant land mass to the East of the Uk where Europe used to be?

Oh, and Swansea is better

Comment

Working...
                        X