Who has performed on stage before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has performed on stage before?

I rapped for the school talent show today and damn... it's the weirdest feeling to perform on stage. You can't see **** except a bright white light because of the spotlight and you get lost in the beat and just start going off. You got no sense of time or nothing and you feel like you could do it for hours.

And I had the audience all hyped with the chorus. I'd be like "Who's that lady that we love?" and they'd shout out "Hip Hop"... "Who be getting down with thugs?" "Hip Hop!" Amazing feeling hearing a whole auditorium full of people hollering like that. It's almost like you got some kind of power with them hanging on your every word

Plus I had an 15-man entourage that was hyping me up and doing a little dancing... and my one boy who is going to be a comedian (I'll tell yall when he gets on SNL) saying nut **** at the beginning to get the audience hyped.

Performing in front of so many people is amazing...

Any of yall did it before?

thanks
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

I was in a musical in college. I highly recommend getting on stage for everyone.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I used to play piano in a bar. It's brilliant when everyone's gathered round, singing along, buying you drinks, even nibbling your ears...

It's less enjoyable when you've got the neds in, threatening you with violence if you don't shut up, but you've got to take the rough with the smooth...
      yada

Comment

I've only been on stage as a kid. I have spoken in front of large audiences, but that is not the same thing.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

A number of times. I was in several plays and musicals. Once I was in a short play competition with my own script. Another time I accidentally got in front of the stage on Friday night as a stage crew, and the audience thought that was intentional.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I was in a musical and a couple plays in my younger, more vulnerable years.

-edit, oh yeah, I have been in quite a few debates, and gave lots of speeches too. I am actually quite the orator. :Cute:
            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've performed on stage, but not in a speaking/acting role.....
              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I have taken 7 years of theater course as a kid. I got used to the stage pretty quickly. My favorite technique, when I feeled I begun to be impressed by the audience, was to look straight in the lights in front of me, to forget there was a public at all
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Chorus and 'Chamber Singers' in high school, Choral in college, and a large amatuer choir that does Messiah every year recently. Also solo in my home church.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I play tenor sax in a bar with a band, and I'm on stage on a weekly basis. Our schedule also includes some major shows every year...
                    It's a piece of cake... if you are drunk enough. I can't do it sober.

Originally posted by Spiffor
                    I have taken 7 years of theater course as a kid. I got used to the stage pretty quickly. My favorite technique, when I feeled I begun to be impressed by the audience, was to look straight in the lights in front of me, to forget there was a public at all
                    It's my second favorite technique...
                    RIAA sucks
                    The Optimistas
                    I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

You better believe it. I'm a thespian, that's for sure -- bunches of school productions, last semester getting the lead role in the play and this semester getting the title role in The Man Who Came to Dinner. Hilarious play, that one...

But I'm not limited to school stuff; I'm active in the community playhouse as well. I played Jim in The Glass Menagerie last spring, and it was a blast.

To anyone who hasn't: give it a shot.
                      Talent Optional

Comment

Originally posted by CapitanGarlic

To anyone who hasn't: give it a shot.
                        RIAA sucks
                        The Optimistas
                        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Hmmmm....
                          Was "volunteered" by music teacher in 4th grade to sing a solo song and dance number called "Clancy" in front of @500 children and their mothers (mostly).
                          Lead in horribly sappy 8th grade play called "Teen".
                          High school:
                          Room Service Harry Binion
                          Macbeth Macbeth
                          Christmas Carol Ghost of Christmas Past
                          Frankenstein Victor Von Frankenstein
                          Brigadoon Forget the character!
                          Fiddler on the Roof Lazar Wolff
                          Various one act/spring projects

College:
                          (switched to English exclusively) except for:
                          Angels in America Roy Cohn

Lead singer in two bands (Act of God & Herb's Buddhafield).

I really liked acting, though I was a more blue collar actor than a character or nuance actor. I probably would really enjoy character acting now that my good looks are gone.

From the first time I was thrust on stage I was both elated and terrified...it is the "greatest fear" after all, isn't it?
                          There were some horrible moments and some insane highs as well--when the audience connects with you, it is an incredible experience; well worth the occasional flubs.

If your story is accurate, sounds like you had a great connection, but I can't help but think it seems a bit "romanticized". You were doing call and response with 15 backups? Wow.
                          Life and death is a grave matter;
                          all things pass quickly away.
                          Each of you must be completely alert;
                          never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                            I have spoken in front of large audiences, but that is not the same thing.
                            I disagree... speaking in front of over a thousand people is the same if not worse. You are the center of attention... and you better say something good, or you are toast.

You have to play to the crowd, and excite them... the same holds true for anybody that has to be infront of an audience.
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Did some theatre in HS, including a one-act written, directed and co-starring Boshko...
                              Haven't done anything except debate in college...

edited since I apparently can't tell the difference between HS and college while drunk, all the spelling was passable amazingly enough.
                              Last edited by Bosh; April 12, 2003, 11:11.
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X