No announcement yet.

N.Korea to Japan: "remember, you are within striking distance"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might be argued that sanctions worked on South Africa. I can't say I can think of another example though

Comment

They worked because the white elite actually needed to trade with the outside world, and what was demanded of them didn't destroy them. Kim doesn't need to trade, and he would not be at all served by doing what the outside world wants.

Comment

Absolutely true, no sense in fighting it, let's let nature take its course.
        I'd rather have a German division in front of me than a French division behind me.--Patton

Comment

I note that Gulf War II demonstrated that the new Patriot missile batteries are pretty effective against NK missile technology.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Anyway, it looks like Kim is starting to become more open to multilateral dialogue.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Sanctions punish the people, not the dictators.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                Sanctions punish the people, not the dictators.
                Sava, I agree with you. The idea that the people will rise up when they feel the squeeze is very outdated. However, it would be a wise plan to sanction items that are primarily for military use or the so called "dual use" items. "Duel use" items would cause some hardship among a developed populace, but this would probably not be the case for the impoverished north.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

yes sanctions are really being misused. since the UN is too weenie to take hard action and too scared of taking no action. sanctions have become the catch all to attempt to take care of dictators w/ no real care taken to when/where sanctions are effective and when they aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Anyway, maybe if Bush hadn't called the DPRK part of the axis of evil and then begin threatening to take those countries out, Kim wouldn't have restarted his nuclear weapons program. He's justified in considering the US an agressive country.
                    More revisionist history?
                    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get the Chinese to allow us to station the 4th ID, the 1st Cav and the 1st Armor in China on the North Korean border? China could be a better ally than Turkey.
                      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                      X