how do i get a credit card in my name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rogan Josh

I always pay my bills straight away so as not to accrue interest, and it hasn't hurt my credit rating. In fact, they keep putting up my credit limit without asking and I keep asking them to put it back down again, because I don't think it is a good idea to have such a huge credit limit on a card.
    I not saying it hurts your credit rating to always pay it off (as I also do) but consider this. Who do credit card companies continually target? Students and recent chapter 11 graduates. Why? Because they are often irresponsible with the cards, pay lots of interest and keep the companies in business. If you use your available credit, pay a little interest, then pay off the principle you are showing that you are a 'responsible' consumer and it improves your rating just as if you default on a payment it lowers your rating.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

buy a car. take out a small personal loan and pay it back. try getting credit through sears or lowes - they give credit to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
        Try your bank, even if the rate is a bit ****, keep it for a few months then get a real one.
        A lot of smaller bank s and bank chains have dropped credit card from their services and just give you a application to some large national bank chain.
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln
          Don't fall into the credit trap. Only use the card when you have money in the bank to repay what you are spending with the card. To build up your credit get a card from an oil company and repay it promptly or get a loan from your bank that is based on your savings and pay that back promptly. But don't fall into the trap! When I was your age my bank mailed me a Master Card without asking. But they learned a valuable lesson (and so did I). I do all my business with cash now including buying a home. It is the only way to go and you can use a debit card to rent a car or whatever.
          this is exactly what i plan on doing ive seen my parents go through too much crap to be fiscally irresponsible.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
            You have to pay charges for using a debit card?
            We get a certain number of "free" transactions, after which each costs an extra $1. Sucky bastards.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I have a credit card, and I am into my first overdraft already.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

I use my credit card for almost all my purchases but pay it off about every two weeks so that interest never accrues. I have now garnered enough airmiles for a trip to Hawaii.

As for debit, all my transactions are free but they charge a 10 dollar monthly fee which is waived if you have at least $1000 in your account on each day of the month. So thats what I do and the $120 that I save yearly is much more than any interest I could gain from investments or interest charges I could save by paying down debt ( my debt is at between 5.1% and 6%)

To get a credit card, simply apply to a company that is marketing to students. There are cards with lower limits available. Another simple way to get a credit rating is to put say $500 aside in a bond at a bank and then borrow $500 from the same bank but secured by that bond. There is absolutely no risk to the bank so you should get a great interest rate and the cost to you is the difference between the interest rates. You can be upfront that you are trying to establish a rating and if you find a helpful banker they should be only too happy to set it up.
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

get an amazon card!!

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

do you get a fee for that, Mark?

I still have not gotten a credit card. I make all my purchases with cash.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

do you get a fee for that, Mark?
                      hmmm, well......, you see.....
                      eer

yeap
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I used to get countless offers of platinum cards when I was an impoverished student or unemployed...now I am working and have a bit of money, not a thing in the post
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

PH, a bit of money? What happened? Last word I saw, the uni was sending some leg breakers to sort you out!
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

You're gonna need a card from a bank that caters to sub-prime (i.e., high-risk) consumers. My suggestions are to try a bank like Household bank (where I got my first card). Your APR (annual percentage rate, i.e. interest rate) will likely be a bit high, but there's probably no getting around that since you're a credit card newbie. Besides, your APR will drop as your history improves, and you can always request APR reductions from time to time (assuming you deserve it).

Other options include a secured card, where you start off with a deposit at a bank, and they base your initial credit on the deposit. Again, as your credit history improves and you pay your bills on time, your credit will increase, and you can eventually transfer the balance to an unsecured card.

Secured cards:

There are also student cards, which are geared towards (you guessed it) students:

Just remember to a) pay your bills ON TIME, b) pay MORE THAN THE MINIMUM AMOUNT DUE (your debtload will take forever to pay off if you just pay the minimum), and c) only use it for EMERGENCIES or when you know you'll have the money in the very near future to pay the bill. It is extremely easy to get over your head with credit, and lots of young people have f*cked themselves accumulating debtloads that they can't pay off. Also, recall that bankruptcy legislation reform is around the bend, meaning that you'll have a harder time just eliminating all debt through bankruptcy, should it come to that.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                            X