Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the world opinion about today's events?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kramerman
    Ned/sandman are the only ones who has lightly touched on my question... does anyone know any more detail of the Muslim, especially arab muslim, response to the Iraqis praising the coalition attacks?
    Last time I checked, the 'world' consisted of more than the Muslim and Arab nations.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

To answer the topic :
      In France, the big 20:00 news thoroughly showed the cheerful shias of Saddam City as well as the Kurds from Erbil, but also showed a few disgruntled Iraqis, and unenthusiastic ones, who are only worried about their immediate future. We could also see the Basrans nearly not caring of the fall of Saddam, because of the water shortages and pillages.
      An American Captain has been interviewed, and he said usual US-Army PR.
      A journalist in Baghdad explains how the Iraqi "guides" from the ministry of Information have fled in the past day, and how he experienced the collapse of the regime.
      A short report was about big Iraqi personalities whose whereabouts were unknown : Saddam & Sons, Tariq Aziz, the ministry of Info.

Euronews among other news (mostly good), shows a crippled child, to recall what is behind the shameful word "colateral damage".

I am overall pleased with the media coverage I could see in France today. There have been a few occurences where the big Channels spilled some anti-Americanism, but today it seemed really unbiased
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

My world opinion: We are all gonna die soon! (soon as in, less than 80 years...)

First and foremost, I have that to worry about!

// Applicable as long as you're not a 6 year old poster.
        :-p

Comment

The big story in the Arab world right now is how sudden the fall was. Granted, there is still a lot to do... but the Arab media seemed shocked by the lack of Iraqi Military, and the fall of Baghdad... They've been saying all along that Baghdad would stand for a long time, and the quick turnabout today has them wondering about their own broadcasts...
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

Last time I checked, the 'world' consisted of more than the Muslim and Arab nations.

i was making my question more specific. You dont have to be so rude!
            Last edited by Kramerman; April 9, 2003, 21:13.
            "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
            - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
            Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
              To answer the topic :
              In France, the big 20:00 news thoroughly showed the cheerful shias of Saddam City as well as the Kurds from Erbil, but also showed a few disgruntled Iraqis, and unenthusiastic ones, who are only worried about their immediate future. We could also see the Basrans nearly not caring of the fall of Saddam, because of the water shortages and pillages.
              An American Captain has been interviewed, and he said usual US-Army PR.
              A journalist in Baghdad explains how the Iraqi "guides" from the ministry of Information have fled in the past day, and how he experienced the collapse of the regime.
              A short report was about big Iraqi personalities whose whereabouts were unknown : Saddam & Sons, Tariq Aziz, the ministry of Info.

Euronews among other news (mostly good), shows a crippled child, to recall what is behind the shameful word "colateral damage".

I am overall pleased with the media coverage I could see in France today. There have been a few occurences where the big Channels spilled some anti-Americanism, but today it seemed really unbiased
              thanks spiff, nice and informative
              "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
              - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
              Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Our news are focusing on the freed Iraqis who are trashing Saddam statues and what they can get their hands on that reminds them of Saddam. Reporters are focusing more on telling how they are now freed from long oppression, and that they are happy about it, more genuine than kissing butts of new boss. That was the word today, what happens after this is the hard step, but naturally this is not over yet and some fighting will occur..
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

i was making my question more specific. You dont have to be so rude!
                  Moi?
                  "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                  "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Sorry Ming, I don't spend a lot of time watching TV News. I watched about 30 mins today after I got home from work and it was all "Rah Rah Rah" (not your bro, but the whole celebration scenes).
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                      The big story in the Arab world right now is how sudden the fall was. Granted, there is still a lot to do... but the Arab media seemed shocked by the lack of Iraqi Military, and the fall of Baghdad... They've been saying all along that Baghdad would stand for a long time, and the quick turnabout today has them wondering about their own broadcasts...
                      Some time ago, I posted a thread on a survey conducted by CBS of the widespread belief in the Arab world about how 4,000 Jews stayed home the morning of 9/11/2001. Virtually everyone believed it, even though a person of average caution would question whether the story was a rumor or fact. The reason they believed it was that it was reported as fact by both al Jazeera and other Arab media. The people on the Arab street believed these reports rather than CNN or other western media who they viewed as biased liars.

So today they have incontroverable evidence that Arab media has been lying to them on the course of the war, on the strength of Saddam's army, and most of all, on an inherent nationism of the Iraqi people that would cause them to fight the invaders for love of Allah and Iraq even if they hated Saddam.

Hopefully, this sudden realization will cause a seachange in the region. Arabs may hereafter suspect Arab media who are reporting stories wildly inconsistent with what Western media are reporting.

But most of all, they may now reassess everything their media has been reporting about America and its intentions. They will of course remain suspicious of what American ultimately intends. But they may no longer believe that America's only purpose for invading was to conquer, colonize and steal.
                      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Lots of Iraqis in Baghdad were out looting and pillaging, and the coalition troops didn't try to maintain order.

The interesting bit is this: one of the thieves got in front of the camera and said, "Thank you President Bush." That is so deeply ironic I laughed my arse off.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                          Sorry Ming, I don't spend a lot of time watching TV News. I watched about 30 mins today after I got home from work and it was all "Rah Rah Rah" (not your bro, but the whole celebration scenes).
                          I had it on all day today in the background while working at my computer... I saw a more balanced view then many people want to give them credit for. They spent about a third of the day providing the same feeds the arab media were using... showing the death, pain, and suffering of the civilians... questioning the US on the attacks against journalists... questioning why the US hasn't stepped up to provide crucial services yet... a lot of stuff that some might even consider anti american...

On the other hand, I switched to Fox every once in awhile, and it was a different story... They seemed to be gloating

Yeah... CNN provides an American Bias... Just like every News source does for their own point of view... But to claim that they are totally pro US and don't mention the bad stuff is just totally incorrect. As I said... I saw it today with my own eyes... something other people should do before they rush to make judgement without having all the facts
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

what are you talking about?
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Some time ago, I posted a thread on a survey conducted by CBS of the widespread belief in the Arab world about how 4,000 Jews stayed home the morning of 9/11/2001. Virtually everyone believed it, even though a person of average caution would question whether the story was a rumor or fact. The reason they believed it was that it was reported as fact by both al Jazeera and other Arab media. The people on the Arab street believed these reports rather than CNN or other western media who they viewed as biased liars.

So today they have incontroverable evidence that Arab media has been lying to them on the course of the war, on the strength of Saddam's army, and most of all, on an inherent nationism of the Iraqi people that would cause them to fight the invaders for love of Allah and Iraq even if they hated Saddam.

Hopefully, this sudden realization will cause a seachange in the region. Arabs may hereafter suspect Arab media who are reporting stories wildly inconsistent with what Western media are reporting.

But most of all, they may now reassess everything their media has been reporting about America and its intentions. They will of course remain suspicious of what American ultimately intends. But they may no longer believe that America's only purpose for invading was to conquer, colonize and steal.

LOL--Wishful thinking Ned--they will have a new spin on it by tomorrow--some of the Apolytoners here have already--you have to give it some time.
                              Die-Bin Laden-die

Comment

MSNBC is reporting that Syrian TV did not report the events in Baghdad. I also heard that BBC cut away and did not show the fall of the statue. The BBC is strongly against the war.

The Syrian blackout protend major trouble with Syria.
                                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                                X