Will history repeat itself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will history repeat itself?

The question is about arificially installed governments, like the one we will soon have in Iraq.

These kind of governments are doomed from the first moment they are installed. We've seen it in Iran, Afghanistan. How long will it take before Iraq goes back to a Saddam-ish ruler? Anyone remember other examples? Any good examples you can remember?

I have little confidence in the future of Iraq's pre-fabricated government....

I hope history repeats itself in the fact that Bush gets ejected from the office he 'occupies'...
    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Any good examples you can remember?
      Musharraf?

Last edited by RGBVideo; April 8, 2003, 08:30.

Comment

actually, any government is doomed to failure. It's just a matter of time, sadly.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Yes, Re-elections are an unfortunate thing.....
          Up The Millers

Comment

There have been some success too, lets not forget Japan and Germany, and, i wouldnt call Afghanistan a failure. Its progress is slow, but considering its previous condition from decades of warfare...
            "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
            - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
            Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Ultimately it will be up to the prople of Iraq to decide what kind of government that they will accept. If this is a "Saddamish" type then they will have that. If they can, as a people, rise beyond their differences then they have a real opportunity to bring something new to the Arab Middle East...Freedom of Choice.
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

i wouldnt call Afghanistan a failure.
                You know how much was spent on the immediate rebuilding? Who paid most of it?

Comment

The U.S. hasn't had much luck installing governments in the Eastern Hemisphere, but "Just Look at What We Did in Latin America!"(tm)
                  "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                  ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                  "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomerehu

You know how much was spent on the immediate rebuilding? Who paid most of it?
                    Quick fixes don't often work. The idea in Afghanistan and in Iraq is to present a new idea. Government by the people. Simply rebuilding infrastructure does not solve the problem. To create long term change, an environment must be created for democratic ideals to flourish. The first step is stabilization of the political system. This seems to be occuring in Afghanistan.

Nation building is not an overnight process that you simply throw a lot of money at. If one looks at 1946 Germany or Japan, one might say the same things you imply about Afghanistan. Only time will tell.

The debate on wheather or not Allied policy in Afghanistan is a sucess cannot possibly take place at this point...perhaps in 5 years the story will be clearer.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Re: Will history repeat itself?

Originally posted by Daz
                      The question is about arificially installed governments, like the one we will soon have in Iraq.

These kind of governments are doomed from the first moment they are installed. We've seen it in Iran, Afghanistan. How long will it take before Iraq goes back to a Saddam-ish ruler? Anyone remember other examples? Any good examples you can remember?
                      Do you ever consider gathering any facts, maybe looking at News, or anything whatsoever, before you start a bogus thread topic ?

"We've seen it in Iran, Afghanistan."

Plain and simple bull****.

"How long will it take before Iraq goes back to a Saddam-ish ruler? "

Doubtful it will happen, but if it does we have a map.
                      We can find Iraq again.

"Anyone remember other examples? Any good examples you can remember? "

Yes. Germany and Japan, for 2 examples. WW II.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Ahem. Allow me to clarify concerning Afghanistan. I was primarily thinking about the gov installed by the Russians. There is a new one installed by the US, but as you said... time will tell.

The biggest problem from my point of view is that you cannot install a democratic govenment. You can install a dictator, but a democratic government is soon about to get elected-away, and you most likely have your enemy back in power.

That leaves the world powers (nowadays USA) installing dictators in place of dictators.....

Comment

Well, why don't you dial waaay back?
                          Why bring up what the Russkies did?

The plan is for Iraqi's to propose candidates.
                          Sounds suspiciously like an attempt at Democracy.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The UN installed the government in Afganistan, not the US.

The UN arranged a summit, and then ratified the 'results' of the summit.

Comment

The point is in showing that a "democratic government" will not obey its master... long term.

The US want a firm grip on what will be going in Iraq. Letting the people vote for candidates... sure... but what candidates... the US will vote on that one.

Anyway, you cannot allow for people to come to power and reopen that chamical weapons plants.. can you?

Comment

Working...
                              X