Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riddle me this

High Court upholds ban on cross burning

WASHINGTON – In a ruling with important symbolic implications, the Supreme Court has upheld the right of states to ban cross burning - marking a setback for many free-speech advocates but a victory for African-Americans.
    The court, in a 5 to 4 decision, reaffirmed that the First Amendment's guarantee of free speech is not absolute when it comes to certain forms of expression.

By upholding a 51-year-old Virginia law that outlaws the burning of a cross on public or private property with the intent to intimidate, the court decreed that such an act amounted to a form of terror that could be regulated.
    I just don't understand it,
    my mind is at a loss.
    you can burn the U.S. flag,
    but cannot burn a cross?

and riddle me that

High Court upholds ban on cross burning

WASHINGTON – In a ruling with important symbolic implications, the Supreme Court has upheld the right of states to ban cross burning - marking a setback for many free-speech advocates but a victory for African-Americans.
    The court, in a 5 to 4 decision, reaffirmed that the First Amendment's guarantee of free speech is not absolute when it comes to certain forms of expression.

By upholding a 51-year-old Virginia law that outlaws the burning of a cross on public or private property with the intent to intimidate, the court decreed that such an act amounted to a form of terror that could be regulated.

Anyone see a trend yet?

Comment

Freedom from persecution is more important than Freedom of Speech.

The cross burning was used purely against African-Americans in a campaign of hate, whereas flag-burning isn't directed at a particular section of society.

My two-eurocoins.

Comment

Freedom from persecution is more important than Freedom of Speech.
        Define "persecution". If by persecution you mean some physical act of violence, then you are correct - my rights do not extend to harming your person. If by persecution, though, you mean simply making someone feel bad, then I'm sorry, but that is not enough to deny me my rights.
        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd

Define "persecution". If by persecution you mean some physical act of violence, then you are correct - my rights do not extend to harming your person. If by persecution, though, you mean simply making someone feel bad, then I'm sorry, but that is not enough to deny me my rights.
          So it would be acceptable to print Nazi hate slogans on major newspapers? Or billboards calling for the slaughter of Jews?

Of course we have to curtail freedom of speech to some extent, to ensure the safety of all members of society.

Comment

This is the part that matters. Some guys burning a flag is saying: ehy, I protest what the US (in general) is doing. Burning a croos is saying: hey, you specific individuals (certainly specific in the case of doing it on someone's private property), we are out to get yah. That is intimidation, the making of threats, and not simply an act of political protest.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon

So it would be acceptable to print Nazi hate slogans on major newspapers? Or billboards calling for the slaughter of Jews?
              If they can pay for it, yep.

It's pretty amazing how some people in the world seem to forget just how glorious free speech actually is
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

This is the part that matters. Some guys burning a flag is saying: ehy, I protest what the US (in general) is doing. Burning a croos is saying: hey, you specific individuals (certainly specific in the case of doing it on someone's private property), we are out to get yah. That is intimidation, the making of threats, and not simply an act of political protest.
                exactly.

Comment

Hello, croos burning and flag burning are not the same. people burning crosses are not portesting Christianity or the mandates of some religious sect: they are burning crosses to directly intimidate a group of people.

Someone is free to have some pro-Nazi statement on a newspaper (if the paper will run it), but you can't put out an add threatening a group of people. That hinders freedom people.

Comment

What is the punishment for such crimes? A fine?
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

So it would be acceptable to print Nazi hate slogans on major newspapers?
                      Certainly.

Or billboards calling for the slaughter of Jews?
                      It sorta depends - one can't specifically solicit murder, but on the other hand a billboard saying that all Jews should die would be "fine" (and you know what I mean, I don't want to hear anyone's ****).
                      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Certainly.

It sorta depends - one can't specifically solicit murder, but on the other hand a billboard saying that all Jews should die would be "fine" (and you know what I mean, I don't want to hear anyone's ****).
                        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

When I said Nazi slogans I meant to imply that it was directed against sections of society, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Comment

statements calling for violence against individuals are not legal, and ofr good reason. A poster advertising the Nazi party would be OK. One calling for violence illegal.

Comment

If people wouldn't run around saying so much stupid crap, we'd all have a lot more freedom. Burning a cross isn't speech anyway. Its an potential threat. And you know what we do to people who are potential threats.

Comment

Working...
                              X