X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just sumbled on this thread.

4.7 million casualties ?
    Directly caused by the ambitions of neighbouring countries
    How come our countries don't do rats about it ? How come the UN doesn't send troops to prevent fighting from occuring in bigger cities, and to protect humanitarian work ???

This is a flabbergasting catastrophe. We thought the Rwandan genocide was bad. We hardly hear about Congo
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

My uncle was in Burundi, Uganda and the DRC for some time working for an aid organization. He told me of the suffering. 9 countries involved in fighting the DRC has destroyed infrastructure, and has killed millions.

This is a UN **** up. To put it bluntly.

Yep, Mobutu has totally ****ed up Zaire, and we've been in bed with him for decades.
      He was the lesser of the evils in the country. You could of course have Tshombe rule the country... instead of Mobutu. Then things would of really been screwed up in a much smaller amount of time.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Congo was a former Belgian colony, so naturally the EU should do some interventions there. Remember, Congo has huge diamond and copper mines.

If EU decides not do anything about it, that's fine with me. As I said before, Africa is a far bigger sh1thole than the ME. It's really fortunate for us that nobody there has become too ambitious so far.

Comment

It's really fortunate for us that nobody there has become too ambitious so far.
          The only thing I am worried about is Qaddafi... who wants a united Africa... of some sort...
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Merciless
            If EU decides not do anything about it, that's fine with me. As I said before, Africa is a far bigger sh1thole than the ME. It's really fortunate for us that nobody there has become too ambitious so far.
            In fact, i don't really see how it could make things worse than they are now...
            "An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Comment

Some people are getting ambitious, and I think Uganda's leader is one of those. However, the power structure in subsaharian Africa is not nearly centralized and united enough for an African dictator to be any dangerous to the big powers in the next decades. Yet, these dictators can be atrociously dangerous to their populations or their neighbours' populations. The simple willingness to rule an African country is a huge ambition already, and is often paisd in blood.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

But what about Qaddafi?

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  I've just sumbled on this thread.

4.7 million casualties ?
                  Directly caused by the ambitions of neighbouring countries
                  How come our countries don't do rats about it ? How come the UN doesn't send troops to prevent fighting from occuring in bigger cities, and to protect humanitarian work ???

This is a flabbergasting catastrophe. We thought the Rwandan genocide was bad. We hardly hear about Congo
                  Where is the US of A evil fighting Knight Junior

he must have got stuck somewhere in the desert...
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                    But what about Qaddafi?
                    Qaddafi belongs to the ME crowd.

The "Africa" I was refering to is the subsaharran one.

Comment

Originally posted by Menlas

In fact, i don't really see how it could make things worse than they are now...
                      It can get far worse: massive famine, countless genocides a la Rwanda, brutal tyrants impaling opponents a le Vlad, people cannibalizing each other....

Comment

In total, about 3.5 million people have died in the Congo. It's the bloodiest war since WWII.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          In total, about 3.5 million people have died in the Congo. It's the bloodiest war since WWII.
                          But we don't see a drop in their population, do we?

Comment

But we don't see a drop in their population, do we?
                            Primarily because of a +3% - +4% population growth rate...

Comment

Random factoid of sh!tholiness: DROC is only one of three governments on the planet that the CIA lists as outright dictatorships (the others being NK and Libya).

Oddly, DROC has one of the highest literacy rates in Africa.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

A high literacy rate in the fact that people can write and read. But the system has been wrecked... I don't see how this is possible.. how can a high literacy rate be attained while the country's infrastructure is in pieces?

Comment

Working...
                                X