Hypocrites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypocrites?

Are war protestors (American) who now "support the troops" instead of hoping for U.S. defeat hypocrites? If the war truly is immoral, shouldn't people opposed to it hope for its objective not to be accomplished? Thoughts?
    Since when does the national security of the United States depend on the opinions of the heads of state of Angola, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Chile, and Guinea?

No, they are not hypocrites. It is one thing to oppose war. It is a completely different thing to wish harm upon your own country's men and women who are only obeying orders given to them.

Comment

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by titansfan216
          No, they are not hypocrites. It is one thing to oppose war. It is a completely different thing to wish harm upon your own country's men and women who are only obeying orders given to them.
          No, in fact, it is quite the same.
          I'd rather have a German division in front of me than a French division behind me.--Patton

Comment

Three DL's!!!

KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

What is a DL?
              Since when does the national security of the United States depend on the opinions of the heads of state of Angola, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Chile, and Guinea?

Comment

I protested the war. I still think it's wrong. In all cases I hope for the lowest amount of civilian casualties, followed by the lowest amount of military casualties. I would support a US withdraw from Iraq. However, seeing as that is unrealistic, I support an American victory over an Iraqi one only because, if the war were to continue and we were to lose, it would all be in vain and nothing good would come from it. If we win, there is still a degree of hope.
                "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

However, seeing as that is unrealistic, I support an American victory over an Iraqi one only because, if the war were to continue and we were to lose, it would all be in vain and nothing good would come from it. If we win, there is still a degree of hope.
                  If you REALLY were against the war, the U.S. losing would have some good for you. The U.S. would not have accomplished what it sought out to do "immorally" and it would be much less likely to do it again.

I admire the Columbia University professor who hoped for the death of thousands of U.S. soldiers so that the war would not have a successful conclusion. However, I don't agree with him and would punch his face in if I was in NYC. But at least he isn't a hypocrite.

Comment

But what if someone who was anti-war preferred these outcomes, in order?

1. Inspections but no regime change
                    2. Regime change
                    3. No regime change no inspections

A lost war would end up with saddam in power with no inspectors. Hence that is the worst outcome possible for them. Regime change is better, so hence now that the war is started, they root for it as it is second best.

I don't agree with this, but I'm sure a lot of people feel that way.
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

and...
                      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

What about those opposed to war in general? Shouldn't they hope for the defeat of the "agressors"?

Comment

My first and foremost hope is for as few casualties as possible on both sides. But that said, I cannot hope that an aggressive power is successful in it's ambitions.
                          http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

My first an foremost hope is that Bush look bad as a result (In domestic opinion polls), so that this sort of thing will not happen again.
                            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

More hypocrites: why aren't "true" environmentalists protesting Saddam's actions with regard to burning oil wells and trenches around Baghdad? It was estimated that the burning oil after the first war gave off the came CO2 emissions as 500 million SUVs in a year. Hypocrites?

Comment

Working...
                              X