Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowboy BeBop and other Anime...

Ok, here's the scoop...

I just finished watching Cowboy BeBop: The Movie yesterday and sort-of enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the regular show. Additionally, it followed the direction many anime movies have....slow throughout most of the movie until the climax. I personally enjoyed this tempo because it was a change of pace from the normal Hollywood adrenaline rush.

What I didn't like was the fact that you don't really know when the movie actually takes place. Is it a stand-alone or is it during a break in the episodes? This is what made me only "sort-of" enjoy this movie.

Anyway, if you guys have seen this movie or others, can you tell me what you think....or recommend me some good anime movies?
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, but ABOVE ALL OTHERS Metropolis.
    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
    Drake Tungsten
    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
    Albert Speer

Comment

I saw Princess Mononoke and Akira, and felt that the final sequence where the vincinity is totally anihilated but miraculusly the main characters all pretty much survive got kind of tiresome. The same thing happens at the end of virtually every Japanese RPG I've played, and it gets old the millionth time it happens.

Is this some residual end of the world obsession Japanese people have had since we bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I saw Metropolis the other day, it was enjoyable.
        I haven't seen enough anime to give it a relative score though.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Hmmm...were any of the characters dead?
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I watched Metropolis and thought it was alright. The animation is quasi-60's which was different. Also saw Princess Mononoke and thought it was pretty cool.

I'm looking for an anime movie with a very evil villain....but haven't found one yet. (although 'evil' is subjective )
            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically

Comment

Been reading my Anime Apolyton threads?

--"Is it a stand-alone or is it during a break in the episodes?"

Between episode 22 and 23.

--"or recommend me some good anime movies?"

What kind of movies do you like? There's quite a range, you know.

Overall, I'd suggest anything by Miyazaki, Porco Rosso in particular. Jin-Roh (or any other Oshii works). Perfect Blue, Akira and Ghost in the Shell are other big name titles in the US. Grave of the Fireflies would be another good choice.

Hmm. I think most of the other US released movies are series continuations or retellings. Escaflone, End of Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Ah My Goddess, the Tenchi movies and so on.

--"Is this some residual end of the world obsession Japanese people have had since we bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki?"

That is part of it, yes. It's also a kind of action movie thing. Try some other genres and you won't see that. Grave of the Fireflies, for instance.

--"I'm looking for an anime movie with a very evil villain....but haven't found one yet."

You may not find many. Anime in general has less starkly good/evil separations. You might want to try Ah, My Goddess, since Celestine is trying to destroy the world, but he's not really evil.
              Tenchi: Manatsu no Eve might work. Yuzuha is pretty evil. Or Tenchi Muyo in Love. Kain is about as decidedly evil as they get.

Edit:

While there's an anime thread going, I may as well mention that Azumanga Daioh has been licensed in Australia by Madman. They almost always license the English dubs from US companies, so I bet we hear about a US license this con season, probalby at Anime Expo this summer.

And Pioneer USA should be officially announcing their Haibane Renmei license this week.

Wraith
              "Now let's be good little children, and settle down okay? Little brats."
              -- Kiyone ("Tenchi Muyo in Love")

Comment

Is this some residual end of the world obsession Japanese people have had since we bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
                Barefoot Gen.... One of the best. All about Hiroshima.... no real miraculous saves in that one.

Ninja Scroll, Princess Mononoke was cool. Akira ok a few times.

Jin Roh, Ghost in the Shell, kinda boring.

I don't really like Cowboy Bebop the TV series, or Outlaw Star much.

I really dislike Dragonball Z :ducks for cover: G Gundam, but love Gundam MS 008th .

NEVER Watch "A wind called Amnesia" IT SUCKS!

Pentagenesis for Civ III
                Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

I like Bebop

and some of the movies I have seen (like Ghost in the Shell)

Dragonball Z looks extremely stupid

Gundam Wing (something) wasn't great either

silent mobius wasn't that great also

(seen a number of movies I don't remember the names of, were ok)

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Thanks Wraith. Yes I do read your anime threads but sometimes I get overburdened with info.

My friend recommended one of his movies....but he's a pervert.

Comment

Metropolis is my personal favorite movie of 2002.
                      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                      Drake Tungsten
                      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                      Albert Speer

Comment

one movie had to do with a train

another was Macross or soemthing

another had to do with female space pirates

can anyone tell me what the names were and remind me what they were about

actually, one of my good freinds is into anime (he hasn't watched any but Bebop, but he likes it and is looking up anime online)

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Normally I like to see things for myself before judging them, but my roommate saw CB: The movie first and has insured I'll never watch it (although I'll admit I looked over his shoulder occasionally to get a feel for the art). Let me also preface this by saying that my roommate is an absolute nut for CB (it's his favorite anime series) and is also a movie fanatic. However, he felt rather strongly that despite the bigger budget for nice animation, it totally defied the things that made CB a good show. Part of the charm of CB was precisely what Felch X was complaining about: the heroes are not out to save the city/world/solar system, they're random mercenaries doing comparatively small fry jobs. The rare times they do save a bunch of people (like with the crazy eco-terrorists who were turning people into monkeys, I forget the details) they never get paid or get any recognition. There's loving homage to Noir & Western traditions, but it's still its own show. And they occasionally show shots of females not wearing tons of clothing, but it's not too excessive or intrusive.
                          The movie pumps all these carefully moderated elements up, and destroys itself in the process. The movie makes no sense with the rest of the CB story: after this movie, the CB team should be hailed as planet-saving heroes who can have all the money they could ever want, so no more starving in the ship. The fan service goes to ridiculous levels. And even standing as a movie on its own merits (ignoring possible betrayals to the series), it crosses the line from "homage" to "rips off." A really sucky villian doesn't help either.
                          Yes, I restate again that I haven't seen the movie myself, but pretend like my roommate is here posting.
                          All syllogisms have three parts.
                          Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

How come no one mentioned EoE???

WHERE DA HELL IS KASS!!!???????
                            :-p

Comment

--"one movie had to do with a train"

If most of the characters were cats, it was Night on the Galactic Railroad. Otherwise it was probably Galaxy Express 999.

--"another was Macross or soemthing"

That kind of answers itself

Macross: Do You Remember Love?

--"another had to do with female space pirates"

Queen Emereldas, in which case that first one was probably Galaxy Express 999. They're by the same creator.

--"How come no one mentioned EoE?"

I did...

Wraith
                              "If you're talking about forgetfulness, I won't lose to you."
                              -- Osaka ("Azumanga Daioh")

Comment

Working...
                              X