Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

War between great powers with WMD now seems possible.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War between great powers with WMD now seems possible.

Would anyone ever use them? The US in the '70s said they would if the Sovs defeated NATO, but I now doubt it. So did the Germans btw...

Who knows, maybe they are useless.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Only nuclear weapons are useful.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I don´t think it is more possible than during the Cold War. When you use them, both sides lose....
      Blah

Comment

UR, how so? Remember MAD...

BeBro, that's right. That's what makes conventional war possible. It's always been assumed that if one side started losing realy bad that they would push the button. Seems not to be the case...

OT, when do we have to change the clocks?

Comment

Other WMD are useful in non-conventional attacks. Such as using biological weapons to destroy the livestock population of a country and starve them. During the Cold War, evil men on both sides were very good at coming up with creative ways of killing billions.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

That is silly. If you can do that, you might as well use high explosives to do the same thing.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

UR, he's not entirely wrong, amazingly. I had a chat with someone I consider reliable about something of this sort. Used, but not used against livestock though. Don't really want to get into it any further.

Comment

I saw a special on the History Channel about how many biological weapons were developed to poison Soviet livestock.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

In Space you should have high effictivity/kg. This means if not just pure U bombs, then tritium + levitating core.

One man vs one army. Well it's more interesting with nuclear weapons.

MAD? Do you believe MAD? MAD never worked, nuclear weapons wasn't used for different reasons.

BTW East Timor citizens would be happy if they had NW. I listened: One citisien one enemy soldier, at least in their capital.
                  Last edited by raghar; April 5, 2003, 14:05.

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Well I said it simply, shortly, becose I didn't want to get in details like TAARPS study, gold bombs, Fairy tales about bunker busters, how many NW has NK, or why pre - Russia didn't use NW.
                      Lancer asked if anyone use them, so I wrote about two possible uses.

Comment

U bomb? Uranium?

Comment

Wars for limited objectives are still possible. Sates won't nuke each other over some fight for some god-forsaken peace of dirt. They will used WMD if either side thinksa victory for the other means the end for them.
                          Well, the salient ground for this notion is South Asia. If Pak and India go to full scale war, well then, as the Chinese say:
                          "interesting times"
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

MAD works. Nuclear weapon obsoletes itself because of MAD.
                            :-p

Comment

I don't think it plausible that any "great power" would use WMD now or in the forseeable future. Most have simply been rendered ineffective or have such a huge risk of backfiring that their use is strategically unjustifiable.

The MAD principal still applies to nukes. I don't believe the western (and major eastern) powers that possess them would be irresponsible enough to actually put them to use.

The threat of WMD comes mostly from fundamentalist terrorist groups who don't seem to share our understandable reluctance to die.
                              "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                              "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                              "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X