A funny parallel between the issues of today and a computer game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A funny parallel between the issues of today and a computer game

I totally think the war in Iraq is a bad idea. The main reason is I believe a pre-emptive strike is never justifiable. If one nation can do a pre-emptive strike, then another nation could invade an innocent country and call it 'pre-emptive'.

I pulled up an old civ3 game from last fall and started playing it again for the first time since then. I always try to be the good guy in civ games, and I don't do anything wrong. No wars of aggression. I looked back at a war I had won when I was playing the game before. The Romans, who were bigger and better, were blocking my expansion. It was the early medieval age and I was a tech or two ahead of the romans. As soon as I researched the right technology, I upgraded a ton of horsemen into knights in one turn and then invaded. They only had spearman and I crushed Rome, the greatest nation at the time. I felt guilty about it, but then I told myself, "It was a pre-emptive strike. He was going to invade you and other smaller countries, and you got him to stop a whole lot of suffering."

When I recently pulled up the game, I remembered the ordeal. It was just as I had thought. A country could invade another country and justify it by calling it pre-emptive. That is the exact reason I am opposed to the war in Iraq. It was a great parallel between the real world and the one I spend a lot of time in.
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Yeah, preventive strikes belong to the Medieval Age, when it was all right to beat up your neighbours for land.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Woohoo! Let's get medieval on Iraq!
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Coming Right Up

quote:
        Tornadoes to drop 'concrete bombs'

In other words....
        Attached Files
        Old posters never die.
        They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

'Page not found'
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Try this one:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Tornadoes to drop 'concrete bombs'

By Mark Nicholls
            With the RAF at the Ali Al Salem airbase in northern Kuwait

Tornado jets are poised to use yet another different weapon in the war against Iraq ... concrete bombs.

The jets have already used high-tech weaponry such as the "bunker busting" cruise missile Storm Shadow, which cost £750,000 apiece and can pierce several feet of concrete.

But now the crews operating over Iraq from the Ali Al Salem airbase in northern Kuwait are about to go to the opposite extreme and use "inert bombs".

These are basically blocks of concrete shaped as bombs and painted blue to identify them as non-explosive if they are discovered still intact after the war.

Great accuracy

But they will be laser-guided 1,000lb blocks of concrete, capable of destroying a tank or artillery piece, but without causing a devastating explosion that would put civilians at risk and shatter surrounding buildings.

Tornado Detachment commander, Group Captain Simon Dobb, said: "We have the option of using these inert bombs.

"They still have the guidance and steering methods of other high explosive weapons but the risk of causing civilian casualties is greatly reduced."

The weapons, dropped from height and with great accuracy, can destroy a tank without affecting surrounding buildings.

The weapon is on standby if Saddam Hussein moves his tanks and artillery pieces further into Baghdad, hiding them in areas of dense population.

It means the Tornados can still destroy them but leave civilian buildings intact and the population unscathed.

He said: "There is the impact, without a massive explosive effect.

"It's all about proportionality."

Coloured blue

The Tornado already has a wide arsenal: from air-to-air Sidewinder missiles; laser- and GPS-guided Paveway bombs; dumb bombs; Storm Shadow and ALARM anti-radiation missiles.

It has dropped controversial cluster bombs during this war, though only on specific targets of troops concentrations and military vehicles.

The Tornados have continued to fly missions offering close air support to ground forces as they advance on Baghdad and are now ready to play a role if the war moves into the streets of the Iraqi capital.

Plans are already in hand for post-war Iraq, though the role of the Tornados in that is still undecided.

They may have a presence during the reconstruction of Iraq, maintaining security in Iraqi air space, particularly as humanitarian aid is flown in.

They may maintain a presence in Iraq until the country achieves a stability and has a stable government, and is able to defend its territorial boundaries by itself.

There has been speculation the Tornados, normally based at RAF Marham in Norfolk, may move to bases within Iraq, though that is unlikely at this stage.

But that may change in coming weeks or months.

This is pooled copy from Mark Nicholls, of the Eastern Daily Press, with the RAF at the Ali Al Salem airbase in northern Kuwait.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I think it's quite clear which computer game best reflects the situation in the Gulf today.

That's right: Desert Strike!
              "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Working...
              X