No announcement yet.

Iran is not Persia - it is Iran, not Persia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just trying to convey the exact image that the word 'Iran' gives, and it came out looking all funky.
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by Tassadar5000
      Dog Pig!!!!!

Now THAT would be butt-ugly.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

All the Persians I know call themselves Persians. Meh.
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Why did Persia change its name after all those years?
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Nationalism.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
              All the Persians I know call themselves Persians. Meh.
              That's because as I showed in the last thread, Persians are an ethnic group, the one that dominates the contry. Iran is the geographic region. Persia = racist name.
              "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                JC #1 (Julius Caesar) "I came, I saw, I conquered"
                JC #2 (Jimmy Carter) "I came, I saw, Iran"

Clear enough now?
                It was veni * vidi? vici???????

And in Asterix it was veni * vidi * I didn't believe my own eyes.

Comment

I met a Persian-American in business in the early 90's. She called herself Persian. But as things are today, she would probably call herself an American. After all, she was born in America.
                  So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                  Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Iranians have always referred to themselves as Iranians- its from a root word meaning aryan. Persia is what outsiders called the geographic area of Iran because of the province of Fars = Farsi (the language spoken) = Persia to the Greeks, for instance.

It's rather like calling Great Britain 'England', because English is spoken throughout the separate countries of the British Isles.

'In much of today's World Wide Web, and literature, the terms Persia and Iran have often been used interchangeably to refer to a vast geographic area that has extended from India to Mediterranean. These two designations refer to quite different geographic, political and cultural entities.

Persia is derived from the word Pars, or Persis, as it was known to the ancient Greeks, and has a narrow and specific connotation. It refers to a mountainous region to the northwest of the Persian Gulf, where the city of Shiraz and province of Pars (Present Iran) and the Achaemenid palace, Persepolis, are situated.

However the etymology of the word Iran is Aryan and refers to the Indo-European people and language, which spread throughout a region, connoting a much larger geographic and cultural domain. The term Iran has been in use since the Achaemenid period (ca 550- 331 B.C.)

Although the use of Persia as the designation for the country is less current, it is still used in its adjectival form, that is Persian to refer to language and culture. Therefore using term "Persia" referring to the Ancient and/or today Iran not historically nor geographically would be correct.

Using term Persia or Persian it corresponds to the small part of Empire of Iran. This word may help to describe a certain kind of product or species such as Persian Rug or Persian Cat, but certainly would be insufficient and unprofessional to name Iran, anything less than "Iran". '
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Iran to Iraq then Chad gave me some Turkey!
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

My father uses the term Iranian more than Persian, because he is ethnically Kurdish. And I've never heard him use Persia as a current geographical place.
                        Since when does the national security of the United States depend on the opinions of the heads of state of Angola, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Chile, and Guinea?

Comment

Working...
                        X