Sadaam flees Baghdad to Syria?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sadaam flees Baghdad to Syria?

I mentioned this in the news thread, but I felt that it was such an interesting topic it merited some discussion.
    Here is the gist of what is believed to have happened.
    "Baghdad pre-paid and chartered entire Hotel Cote d’Azur De Cham Resort at Syrian Mediterranean port of Latakiya near Assad family villa. Group may include Saddam Hussein or his sons, but this is not confirmed.

Top Iraqi officials hiding there since March 23, four days after coalition invaded Iraq, guarded by Syrian commando unit armed with anti-air missiles and Syrian naval missile boats securing port"

In a speech recently, even Rumsfeld has tacitly admitted that Sadaam and his family may have "fled the country".

If Sadaam were to flee to Syria, perhaps even to fight another day, would this be a political defeat for Bush? Would it hasten the outbreak of a Syrian-American war, especially in light of Israel's recent threats of all out war with Syria (http://www.jordantimes.com/Wed/news/news4.htm) , along with Powell and Rumsfeld's earlier threats?
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Dubious source.

Israel's threats are just as empty as that of Rummy's, if Saddam Hussein were to leave for Syria.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Sadaam flees Baghdad to Syria?

Originally posted by monkspider

If Sadaam were to flee to Syria, perhaps even to fight another day, would this be a political defeat for Bush? Would it hasten the outbreak of a Syrian-American war, especially in light of Israel's recent threats of all out war with Syria (http://www.jordantimes.com/Wed/news/news4.htm) , along with Powell and Rumsfeld's earlier threats?
      Yes.

Maybe. It would be interesting, in the Chinese sense, if it did lead to a Syrian-American war. At this point, US relations with the Arab world couldn't get much worse, so Bush/Cheney might feel they have nothing to lose by hunting down Saddam even if it takes them through Syria or wherever he flees to next.
      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Re: Re: Sadaam flees Baghdad to Syria?

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
        It would be interesting, in the Chinese sense, if it did lead to a Syrian-American war.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I'm with UR in confusion with that statement, please clarify...
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

If Saddam did flee to another country, (whether it be syria or wherever he is welcomed) and we decide to attack that country too, anti-war protest will get worse.

Administration would look bad and defeated if Saddam did escape, but they can twist stuff by saying their main goal has been achieved (regime change) and just call it a day.

If Saddam did flee the country, I wonder if he is planning something. Would he be expecting us to chase after him? Is he expecting to then flee to another possible refuge and dragging everyone into a war? it could happen. and maybe this is his way of attempting to get mideast to get involved in the jihad that hes been looking for.
            :-p

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Sadaam flees Baghdad to Syria?

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

"May you live in interesting times" has been said to be a Chinese curse. The idea being, that uninteresting times are safer.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

EDIT: Responding to Calc's post

Kinda like what they did with Osama bin Laden...

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                  EDIT: Responding to Calc's post

Kinda like what they did with Osama bin Laden...
                  we are supposedly "still in pursuit". but yeah it will be like that.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sadaam flees Baghdad to Syria?

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

"May you live in interesting times" has been said to be a Chinese curse. The idea being, that uninteresting times are safer.
                    Interesting indeed. Learn something new everyday...

That sentence is going into my sig, thanks 6K.

Comment

No prob, thanks DRoseDARs...

If the Americans do chase Saddam/Bin Laden all through the Middle East... it certainly will make the idea of a jihad more likely, though Saddam will just be an excuse the mullahs use. Really, though, the Americans should have knocked on the Saudis' doors before Iraq's... assuming this is about terrorism and not (just) oil.

Comment

I wonder if Saddam hasnt cooperated with Bin laden alread, they are now chillin' together sharing stories about how US sucks and stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
                          I wonder if Saddam hasnt cooperated with Bin laden alread, they are now chillin' together sharing stories about how US sucks and stuff...
                          I always got the impression that Saddam was a pretty secular guy, that he basically tried to suppress the religious sects in Iraq. I don't know if he and Osama would get along, for that reason.

Despite that, I can see Osama and his supporters using the US treatment of Saddam as an excuse for further terrorism... sort of 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' argument.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                            I'm with UR in confusion with that statement, please clarify...
                            Ancient Chinese curse:
                            "May you live in interesting times"
                            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

6K beat you to it, Lefty, but thank you for clarifying as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X