Paying for college...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying for college...

Temple University is giving me a 4500 dollar scholarship yearly straight up based on merit, which is about half the yearly tuition. My problem is paying for the other half...

the problem is I can't get need-based aide... not because I'm too rich (ha) but because I can't fill the gov't FAFSA forms because I do not have access to my parent's tax forms. Without them, I can't get need-based aid which i will need.

And no, me turning 18 and being completely economically independent of my parents will mean nothing... you are not considered emancipated by the FAFSA people until you are 26!

what should i do?

thanks
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

well damn...
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

well get a job to help with the costs. failing that, try again to get access to your parents tax forms. maybe there are some schemes which are not means-tested that might be able to provide you with support.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

maybe join the army?

Comment

Now, why don't you have access to your parents' tax forms again? I am sure they would be glad to fill out that "Parent" section for you if you tell them you can get a scholarship for that. That's what I did - told my father he can save up to $10K a semester if he fills in his share of the FAFSA and I get a scholarship.

Worked like a charm...
          XBox Live: VovanSim
          xbox.com (login required)
          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
          Spore page

Comment

Ask yer parents nice,

If still NO

Walk over to the phone, dial the time recording
            and say

Hello IRS, There seems to be some monkey business
            going on with Mr and Mrs ??????? SIN # ?????????
            returns over the last seven years, You should check it out.

Then Hang up.

Maybe that will thaw the ice a bit.

Edit spelling

Comment

Join the Navy.
              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

What I'd personally do in that case is call Temple University's financial aid office and ask for their advice.
                "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                Drake Tungsten
                "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                Albert Speer

Comment

Sell some hash.
                  :-p

Comment

Doing something stupid to get smarts, huh Calc? I love the irony. Congrats on getting into Temple Speer! If you do go there, I'm giving you three months till the liberals start winning you over. Just think - some sexy liberal girl will spot you, and decide to take you under her wing...
                    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                    Drake Tungsten
                    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                    Albert Speer

Comment

My fiancee was/is in that situation...the only solution she's found is a private loan from Citibank. They do have decent rates for student loans, at least.
                      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

You could work as an exotic dancer!
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Ignore the silly comments Albert... congrats on Temple, a fine school. Don't let your friends convince you that college is selling out.

First... like suggested, ask nicely.
                          Second... then threaten to make the above mentioned phone call to the IRS...
                          Third... Contact the IRS directly. Since you are probably listed as a dependent, you have the RIGHT to view the tax returns.
                          Fourth... the suggestion to talk to a counseler at Temple is also a good idea.

Last but not least... KEEP TRYING NO MATTER WHAT. This is an important time in your life. Decisions you make now will have a great impact on how you spend the larger percentage of your life. Work hard... and do what is needed to succeed. Nobody else will do it for you... You have to walk the long road yourself.
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Err.. why can't you get your parents' tax forms?
                            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                            -Bokonon

Comment

I can't speak for Speer, but parents are not always cooperative.

Which also causes problems trying to see the tax forms on your own...you still need the parents to sign on the dotted line.
                              "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Working...
                              X