Is Bahdad really the key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Bahdad really the key?

If you think about it fast, many would say yes. When Baghdad is in control, it would be victory, and then there would be small series of fighting stubborn troopers in remote locations, but nothing big.

But are we being fooled? What if.. just what if Saddam has thought about this (and he obviously has), and Baghdad wouldn't be the key in defense etc. It would be defended hard, but not all out defending. Just to make it look so. Obviously they don't stand a chance of keeping Baghdad, so why force it? It's a place to inflict serious damage to coalition sure, but what if they have their real pressure poinst etc elsewhere? Don't give me that satellite thing, what if there are plans, that takes it into account, and they would actually show some surprising strategies, winning tactics. What do you think?

I think it could very well be so, at least I'd give it a hard thought if I was in charge of defending the country.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Where else are they going to go?

Baghdad is the biggest city, has the most place to hide, has all the machinery of government etc.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Well, Saddam certainly seems to feel it to be the key. The Iraqi war plan seems to be centered around the defense of Baghdad, and Baghdad is where the entire Special Republican Guard is located.
      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

No chance. Baghdad is the key from a symbolic standpoint and, more importantly, by far the easiest place to defend. It's tremendously built-up, allowing for the maximum amount of ambush spots, the best chance for street-to-street fighting to neutralize the tech advantage (as much as it can be), and the hardest area for the coalition to keep civilian and their own casualties low. Trying to make a stand somewhere else would be stupid.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Is Bahdad really the key?
          That's where Jeannie's bottle is according to Major Nelson. Hopefully they can get it back from her relatives before a crazy predictable plot happens.

Comment

Frogger, Iraq is a big country. Though desert areas would not be a real choice, because of those satellites and coalition cababilities to woop some butts in open areas.

Baghdad is a good place to actually fight the coalition, street fighting. Would give casualties to coalition, so it would be the thing to do even if it wasn't the capital.

They need surprise elements.. What if all Republican Guard is not actually there? Only maybe half of them, and the rest of the regular soldiers would be disguised as them, in Baghdad, making coalition think they are all there. Then when the assault begins, they'd fight to death, but they could try to start their own offensives at the same time in different areas, since coalition pressure is in Baghdad. Of course there are small groups doing it, but what if they would actually try something bigger? Maybe outflank coalition forces where they are weakest, from the back? Or attack weakest base, or area were coalition troops are located and make up big fights everywhere. I don't know, but I think it would be thing to at least try.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Baghdad would be naturally defended hard, but it wouldn't be thought as the backbone and last chance. Like fortress where everyone backs down and start fighting their last fight. That would be obvious. What if they would just try to do what is not expected. If planned well, they could inflict serious pain. Make the fight little harder, not too easy anyway.
              In da butt.

Comment

Frogger, Iraq is a big country. Though desert areas would not be a real choice, because of those satellites and coalition cababilities to woop some butts in open areas

hat's exactly it.

They need a big damn city to put their troops in.

Baghdad's 4X bigger than its nearest rival.

Baghdad is also where Saddam's surest of himself. Iraq seems to be run as the Baghdad+Tikrit empire. His top dogs are from Tikrit and all the honey available flows to Baghdad.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

i guess there would still be some rocks laying around we could shoot. other than those key rocks, i'd say baghdad is it...
                  "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Well can you see it now? Everyone thinks it's the key. Definitely surprise elements are possible now. Basically they can't win this by doing what they're doing now, the obvious thing. Or maybe it's jsut me, but I'd like to try out of the box type of thingies, you know, at least try, go out with a big bang rather than burn slow.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Pekka, what exactly do you think Saddam could do?
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If the brunt of his forces weren't in and around Baghdad, where would they be?
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I heard rumors that there are a lot of bannanas in Baghdad . . . . .
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Frogger, that's another question. I really haven't thought about it too much, but I will give it a thought now. Anyway there is no point fighting the fight coalition is giving them, they will lose. Everyone wants to win, even if it's not likely to happen.

But I'm 100% sure there would be lots of things they could try. I need to think this. I'll give some ideas soon.
                            *thinking*
                            In da butt.

Comment

Naturally it's too late to start trying them now, they must have prepared those strategies long before the war started, so they would actually work. So if they are now thinking about their options, it's kind of too late. But they must have realized this, and made the preparations.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X