Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travellers warned off Canada

For your own safety...

AT LEAST FOUR COUNTRIES---including the U.S. and Britain -- are warning citizens against travel to Canada because of the growing number of suspected SARS cases.
    It was announced this morning that the only case in Ottawa wasn't actually SARS.
    Still, it's only a matter of time according to the Director of a local hospital.
    What?

Funny, since both of the US and the UK got it.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I read somewhere that Canada has the 2nd largest number of cases.
      7th death attributed to the illness was announced this morning. All of them in Toronto.
      What?

Comment

WHO stats
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          WHO stats
          thanks for the link.

The seventh death hasn't been unconfirmed as being caused by SARS. (yet ? )
          What?

Comment

the real reason they're warding us off s because we lost faith in canada and plan to bomb them.

shhhh... the walls have ears.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

The cases in Canada are all traceable "clusters": that is, they can be traced to certain individuals who brought the disease back from Asia. The outbreak occurred because a large number of health care workers were exposed to the infection before it was understood what it was. Also a SARS patient was transferred to another hospital and infected a lot of people there.

Since then everyone who has been exposed to the illness has been placed in some form of quarantine (most for 10 days which is the incubation period). Many people have completed their quarantine periods and are asymptomatic so the number of quaratined individuals is dropping. There is expected to be a blip of cases this week when a number of people who were exposed will have come into the incubation period but this is expected and they know who these people are and they are quarantined.

So all this scaremongering is really silly. The infection is so far contained to these clusters. The authorities know who these people are and have taken steps to prevent the spread of infection. Canada is no more likely to suffer from new clusters of infection than any other major country and since the current clusters are well known and contained there shouldn't be too much worry.

Of course some dimiwits are wearing masks on the subway when there is no real need, but there you go.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Some Americans do not know where Canada is, or what it is.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Australia was warned off Cananda too.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Australia was the first one, IIRC.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This is sort of odd, though.

The US has a similar number of cases, and worse the cases are more spread out. In Canada almost all of the cases are in the Toronto area.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Plain old overreaction if you ask me. Like Frogger said, almost all the cases are in the Toronto area, and even then we're only talking ~200 cases in a city of 3,000,000+.
                        "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                          So all this scaremongering is really silly.
                          If you think that's scaremongering, check this one out:

Economist overreacting perhaps?

Comment

It's odd, people have a tendency to go panic at the slightest of hints.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                              The cases in Canada are all traceable "clusters": that is, they can be traced to certain individuals who brought the disease back from Asia. The outbreak occurred because a large number of health care workers were exposed to the infection before it was understood what it was. Also a SARS patient was transferred to another hospital and infected a lot of people there.

Since then everyone who has been exposed to the illness has been placed in some form of quarantine (most for 10 days which is the incubation period). Many people have completed their quarantine periods and are asymptomatic so the number of quaratined individuals is dropping. There is expected to be a blip of cases this week when a number of people who were exposed will have come into the incubation period but this is expected and they know who these people are and they are quarantined.

So all this scaremongering is really silly. The infection is so far contained to these clusters. The authorities know who these people are and have taken steps to prevent the spread of infection. Canada is no more likely to suffer from new clusters of infection than any other major country and since the current clusters are well known and contained there shouldn't be too much worry.

Of course some dimiwits are wearing masks on the subway when there is no real need, but there you go.
                              Well, if the Canadian government was doing things the way they are supposed to i would be inclined to think the same way you do.

But i saw a guy on one of Quebec's local network this evening, giving an interview and saying how he just came back from teaching in Vietnam and Thailand.
                              He got off the plane in Vancouver and boarded another one to Ottawa. He is now in Montreal (I didn't hear whether he'd driven there or took another plane).
                              He said he was never asked any questions, business as usual, etc... and was really surprised about it.

I know i am.
                              What?

Comment

Working...
                              X