X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xupiter parasite!?! Oh No!!

I Went to Apolyton today and on the front page it said:

Warning!
    Your browser appears to have the "Xupiter" parasite installed. This software can present you with unwanted advertising, compromise your computer's security and cause errors and stability problems. It might have been installed without your knowledge. Information and removal instructions.

OMG is this some sort of joke? I can't believe my computer has a freking STD. Is this "worm" dangerous? Stupid comp has clumidia im screwed.

Don't worry.

Go here, scroll down the page, download the application (Spybot - Search & Destroy), install it, run it, have a nice cup of coffee, and all will be fine again.

Comment

But I have a up to date anti virus and a fire wall how could i still have a virus?

Comment

Originally posted by Insigna
        But I have a up to date anti virus and a fire wall how could i still have a virus?
        It's not a virus, it's spyware. It doesn't cause any damage to your system, it only intrudes on your privacy and peace of mind.

Comment

Insigna: Xupiter is not a virus; it's a spyware program that was probably installed along with some other program you downloaded without your knowledge...
          CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
          Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
          Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
          Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Well this just sucks for me then. I geuss ive gotta destroy it then.

Comment

Don't get your girdle in a knot, just follow that link above and follow the instructions. It will only cost you a little bit of time.

Comment

There is a lot of this Gator-like spyware out there now. This is a real pain in the ... It took me a while to get Xupiter off my system. It was causing crashes and the like regardless of the fact that I did not want it.

For example, on or around March 19, my IE suddenly took forever to start up or load new pages. I noticed on the MS newsgroups that a number of other people suddenly developed exactly the same problem. We were all advised to get rid of helpers an spyware. Well, nothing I did helped. I think there is something still there from Xupiter or some other such diddy that is killing my machine.

In the end, I was advised to format my disk drive and do a clean install of the OS, as nothing else has worked.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

I don't understand what the point is of being so intrusive. All they're managing to do is piss people off and shooting themselves in the foot by doing so.

Comment

Go to www.zdnet.com and download Ad-Aware 6. It is free and does an excellent job. I saw the same message you did so I got this. It found 136 suspicious files including Xupiter, Gator, Offline Dialers and more.
                    Get 84 Resources, 96 Resources, or the NEW 153 Resources! Get Rockier Bonus Grassland versions1.0 or 2.0! Get My Mix of Snoopy and Womocks early terrain! Get Varied Goody Huts!
                    Upcoming Mods - Optimator (with over 1000 new units!!!) & Godzilla, Revenge of the Kaiju!
                    I am in dire need of new dino and Kaiju units!

Comment

Xupiter had to be the worst! At least gator is easy to get rid of. Took me a while to rid my computer of all xupiter remnants and many reboots to see if it was truly gone.
                      badams

Comment

Ad-Aware took care of it all. I guess between the gaming sites, programming sites, er - adult sites, and Kazaa I have been putting my poor little PC through some trials....
                        Get 84 Resources, 96 Resources, or the NEW 153 Resources! Get Rockier Bonus Grassland versions1.0 or 2.0! Get My Mix of Snoopy and Womocks early terrain! Get Varied Goody Huts!
                        Upcoming Mods - Optimator (with over 1000 new units!!!) & Godzilla, Revenge of the Kaiju!
                        I am in dire need of new dino and Kaiju units!

Comment

I recently ran AdAware on a few of the computers where I work. On one of them it found over 180 different files, folders, keys, etc... including two active gator programs, xupiter, onfront (or something like that), and some other crap. I then instructed everyone that they should probably be a little more careful what they install on the computers.
                          "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

In the end, I was advised to format my disk drive and do a clean install of the OS, as nothing else has worked.
                            I had to do the same thing to get completely rid of Xupiter.

Now, I use both Adaware 6.0 and Spybot Search and Destroy on both our computers.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone once i get some time ill kill it. I had no idea it was even on my comp untill I came to this site and the site told me. Great Site!

Comment

Working...
                              X