Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chemical Weapons - What's the big deal anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemical Weapons - What's the big deal anyway?

This thread is inspired by the attack on Imran about his being tasteless for his Chemical Weapons thread...

I don't particularly see what the big deal is about chemical weapons compared to, say, cluster bombs anyway...

So they can kill innocent people in a horrible manner - so do cluster bombs. If one is allowed, why not the other?

The point is that they both kill people indisciminately, but then we are talking about war anyway...

BUT, Chemical Weapons are relatively easy to clear from a battlefield after a war, whereas US clusterbombs are still killing civilians as far afield as Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Serbia and Iraq on a weekly basis!

Also what is a 'chemical weapon' anyway? Napalm? Fuel Air Bombs? Aren't they part of the US arsenal?

Personally if Chemical Weapons are banned, I think we should ban cluster bombs as well...

Or we could just unban those Chemical Weapons...?
    Yes
    30.77%
    No
    53.85%
    They should both be allowed as war is about killing your enemy
    15.38%
    Last edited by MOBIUS; April 2, 2003, 18:18.
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

I guess chemical weapons are considered a big deal only when they are "weapons of mass destruction"
    CSPA

Comment

btw, cluster bombs are bad mkay and should be banned, just like anti personell mines (ottawa convention)
      CSPA

Comment

Nope. Against the Rules of War.
        But hell, everything the Hussein regime does is against the rules.

Don't get me started on how to retaliate.

Ever see Butch Cassidy amd The Sundance Kid ?
        Butch (Paul Newman) is challenged to a knife fight for leadership role.
        He wants to get the rules set, and his adversary says, "Rules? No rules in a knife fight!", and Butch kicks him square in the nuts.

And there you have it. No rules? That works both ways.
        Last edited by SlowwHand; April 2, 2003, 18:15.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Dead is dead. I don't know why chem or bio weapons are to be condemned when a nuke will kill you just the same.

Comment

its like two man during middle ages fighting and saying "hey no kicking in the balls".... It was created because somebody didnt want to lose by being kicked in the balls, so he pushed to add this into "honor system".
            :-p

Comment

Chemical weapons are banned because they were ungentlemanly over eighty years ago. They're 'weapons of mass destruction' now because of scary names and public ignorance.

Comment

Eventually Rules of war will be so ridiculous that injuring a personnel on the other side would be considered immoral.... in war!!!! (but by that time Im sure we'll have ummanned vehicles and robots have war for us).

And one day some genius is gonna say "hey I can kill these people! and I can win!"
                :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
                  I guess chemical weapons are considered a big deal only when they are "weapons of mass destruction"
                  But they don't actually 'destroy' anything - buildings are left standing, many leave their victims looking as though they're just sleeping or unconscious...

Cluster bombs OTOH, destroy buildings and turn people into a broken bloody smear of gore. They also destroy a countries economy for decades by making whole regions too dangerous to farm or develop and draining their hard currency into paying for mineclearing these areas...

I think at the very least, the US should send in minesweeping teams to pick up their sh*t after the conflict is over!

The point about anti personnel mines is a salient one - because in many terrains that is precisely what unexploded cluster bomblets become. If the one is banned, then why not the other???

Comment

I think things such as MOABs and daisy cutters should be banned as illegal weapons of mass destruction. But anyway, America isn't really a country known for observing rules.
                    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think it is a good rule mainly because:

Chemical Weapons are relatively easy to clear from a battlefield after a war
                      Is not always true. Nor is the fact that they kill ppl, most of the time they torture ppl before they kill them... Rahter "inhumane". Yet, all is fair in love, war, and the love of war.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

They were rather banned because of assured ease on the overall humanity, expense and speed of war for either of opposing sides. Having a constant chemical soup wafting about your troops and citizens is an *extreme* blanket element that no side feels comfortable they can gain an advantage with (while both using it), so a mutual cancellation of such an element to make it less psychologically horrific and speed the overall campaign of war up was seen fit. Of course gas masks are now readily available, but chemicals outside linger a constant horrific psychological threat and expense to the effort.

Now when one side can see use of these weapons knowing the others can't respond the same, the advantage is tempting.

Comment

Oops, I may not have made myself clear in the first post and have edited it.

I wouldn't blame Saddam for one second if he used them - assuming he has any left...

Is not always true. Nor is the fact that they kill ppl, most of the time they torture ppl before they kill them...
                          Halabja (sp?) is perfectly habitable now, in the sense that the chemical effects are gone AND the town was left standing afterwards...

And having a wicked piece of scorching shrapnel sticking out of your stomach while you struggle to keep your innards in as you slowly bleed to death is not 'torture'...

Comment

For sure. Destroying buildings is much the worse.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Chemical weapons were banned because of their special menace...they kill people so cheaply, they threaten arms dealers' profits.

Comment

Working...
                              X