No announcement yet.

If you could go to Iraq now would you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did volunteer with my old Army Reserve unit but I did that one-week before they left for Kuwait. Since the orders had already been cut and things were set in stone I didn’t get to go. In the long run it’s probably better for my career as a geologist that I stay in the U.S. and continue building experience instead of gallivanting around the world knocking off dictators.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Now that's what I'm talking about slow!

Comment

I wouldn't go, because I don't deem myself as stupid as those who go there with there explosives to blow up on American troops. The fact that you're on the US' side wouldn't make you more intelligent IMHO.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

no way! it's a ****ing war zone!
          CSPA

Comment

no. i never gave a damn for that part of the world, and it's much too hot this season, anyway.
            B♭3

Comment

if America needed me, I'd go. If they drafted me, I wouldn't run to Canada or anything, I'd go.

I suppose dying for your country is one of the more glamerous ways to go.
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

It seems to be lining up as expected. I wasnt necessarily thinking of a 'freelance' opportunity to get involved. A call from an interested government organization (no names no packdrill) would be fine.
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I'd go if I could have a gun... a really big gun... or at least one of them planes with all the missles.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

I'd much rather die for my country IN my country than in some far away desert wastelands.
                    CSPA

Comment

if the army had let me join at 16 (bloody diabetis), i'd probably be there now.

pekka, you ever thought about joining the british army, we accept people from overseas (and in fact activly recruit from some places). probably see a bit more action than in the finnish army
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

What? That can't be true? That can't be true? I really need to look into that one! I'd be honoured to serve the queen! Point the way old lady!

I thought I had UK already covered, but I guess I didn't then, I need to do research again.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

i'm pretty sure, one of my best mates (now in the gulf as we speak) is south african born, came over here at 14, joined the navy at 17.

i'm not sure what rules there are exactly, it may be restricted to those from former colonies/dominions, or there might be a rule about having lived in the uk for more than 3 years. but something to look in to maybe
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Well.. you know I just have to look at the restrictions again. If it's only that living thing? Hey, not impossible since we're in EU, so it's easy moving in if needed.. not much of a paperwork. Maybe if I get to my school I'm trying to get soon.. I could maybe transfer to UK if there is some few years living rule, or if I don't get in, apply straight to there.. I have even looked some unis already, since I was thinking about it. And wars are not about to end, after Iraq there will be more. Thanks for the heads up!
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
                              I'd much rather die for my country IN my country than in some far away desert wastelands.
                              I agree here. I'd go if drafted, but I don't think that we need this war. Besides, I don't give a damn if the Iraqi people are liberated or not.
                              "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

I would go to serve my Lord Jesus Christ and help the unfortunates!

I wouldnt mind and most assuredly would go if God would open the doors.

The people whom are being oppressed need friendly,warm loving care to show them that Love is action and that America is not the sum total of its Military action, although we do need that part also.

I am talking about ministering to the needs of the less fortunate.

Peace

Grandpa Troll
                                Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                                X