File Exchangers, Welcome To The "Food Chain"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good lyrics sites are gold.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

They are.

But on some greek sites, a private watchdog (which represents record companies) comes in and tells them to remove lyrics...

I mean please.... How stupid can one get.

Comment

on some cases even the artists don't know that that watchdog has done that.... and the web designers inform them and they get (if they can) the watchdog to allow the lyrics back up

private companies watchdogs... the worse b*stards...

Comment

What about Newsgroups? I get most of my stuff from there now, and it's as reliable as FTP...
          If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

And what about copy protection wired into your hardware? It could be even nastier.

Music companies are kicking like dead horse. They are losing income and do not like idea of improved services.

It is true that they are losing a lot. It wouldn't be problem with the hardcore pirates, there is just few persons that could do xxxxxxxxx, but there is a problem with "ordinary" people. From my experience they heavily went for pirating music and stuff, and lots of them not becose of their fiscal situation.

Perfect control of DL would damage music companies more than attemt to do some work on Internet culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
              Media is rapidly becoming worthless. The current trend for music, television shows, and eventually movies, is for them to be available freely and easily on the Net. It's a scary transfer of control from large organisations to decentralised, democratic networks. Where does the profit lie in the new paradigm?

It lies in the extras. KaZaA can give you the songs but they can't supply the posters, limited edition this-that-and-bric-a-brac, the t-shirts and special-edition-OMG-look-at-this-behind-the-scenes concerts.

If the music industry really wanted to embrace the new way of sharing music, they'd put their entire collections on the Net. Every last bit of copyrighted audio and video on a secure, high bandwidth, never down website. Let people take all they want but charge for the extras. A searchable catalog of music, user-recommended playlists, etc.

It's even easier for TV. Given the popularity of paying for subscription channels already, there's no reason to believe that people won't pay a monthly fee to have access to an online database of HBO's shows, letting them download the latest hit whenever they want. Terrestrial TV can put regional adverts in the download. It's just like TV now but more direct and, as a consequence, more personalisable.

The current concept of copyright is sacred nor unchallanged (see the Creative Commons idea for example. Imagine if music was published under that.). The music industry is fighting a losing battle even with the help of some powerful governments. If they don't shape up soon, someone is gonna snatch the rug out from under them.

I agree , nice post.

on your question "Where does the profit lie in the new paradigm?"
              I've thought on this a while and I'm not one hundred percent convinced its "only" profit driven...I'm thinking control is a big part too...controling what we hear and who we hear .
              "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

Once again, RIAA and its cronies are fighting against their certain death brought by the Internet, which will make them mostly useless in the end.
                I'm surprised RIAA gets so much support from the policymakers. Supporting them is pure shortsightedness.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
                  What about Newsgroups? I get most of my stuff from there now, and it's as reliable as FTP...
                  Would you post or PM to me Newsgroups you're familiar with, and like.
                  Not just familiar with.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sloww, check you PMs for my recs

Comment

Originally posted by spiritof1202
                      Is it the provider or the receiver that is in issue? I wonder how this effects a system which encrypts the origin and relays internationally.
                      I'm not certain. The site I got that news from, didn't have any speculation on international communications. I think it's easy to see that the pigopolists would try to go after someone in one of those states for concealing his/her identity from their ISP, if they thought that the individual was involved in any piracy. Even if they can't nail you on the piracy, now they can nail you on the concealment .

Sort of like the ass-backwards approach to the gun registry they're doing here in Canada: one reason behind it, is that if they can't convict a suspect for doing a crime, but he owns a firearm, they could try to convict him for owning the firearm illegally .
                      "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
                        can I get the same please?

Comment

Should I get a PM too?

Comment

I don't know, should you?

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                              If they're publicly available: PM.
                              me2 plz!

Originally posted by Timexwatch Sloww, check you PMs for my recs
                              again, me2 plz

Comment

Working...
                              X