No announcement yet.

Stupid Corporate Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unrivaled access, premier storytelling, and the best of business since 1930.

The 101 dumbest moments from this past year. Lots of good ones in there.

How the right merger can create exponential growth.

January 2002
    One year after the completion of its much-ballyhooed merger, AOL Time Warner (AOL) posts a paltry quarterly loss of $1.8 billion.

April 2002
    Just three months later, AOL Time Warner announces a loss of $54.2 billion, the biggest quarterly loss in U.S. history.

January 2003
    Stunningly, a mere nine months after that -- and just two years after the consummation of the marriage -- AOL Time Warner sets another record with an annual loss of $98.7 billion.

Comment

yeah, the Time Warner/AOL merger was pretty bad. synergies my ASS!
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

So what happens when people stop buying them? The Big Three can't be bothered to offer a decent product mix, and the end result is going to hurt them in the long run. They can't ride the gravy train forever.

You can make this claim for ANYTHING! What happens when people stop buying small **** Eurocars? What happens for McDonald's when people stop buying hamburgers?

Saying what happens when people stop buying them means nothing when there is no indication that people are going to stop buying them.

Not to mention the Firestone tires, constant safety recalls, etc, etc. The car companies never accounted for people hurtling down the highway at 90 mphs in these mini-tanks, and its biting them in the a$s....hard.

You have a REALLY wierd way of thinking abotu what bites companies in the ass. Even with Firestone, Ford has made an absolute ton on SUVs, as have every American car maker. It's a cash cow and it doesn't look like it's gonna end soon.

After all, it's saved many car companies (like Sten has already stated, Chrysler).
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Circuit City decides to "improve customer service" by firing 5000 employees. Not only do they fire 5000, they fire the best 5000, those that used to earned the most on commisions from sales. they then stop paying commisions to their sales people.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

gepap, were you a circuit city sales rep?
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Sony doesn't license the Betamax, a product with superior performance over VHS, and ended up on the losing end of the tape standard war.
              I never know their names, But i smile just the same
              New faces...Strange places,
              Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
              -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Imran, Detroit, please chill. If you want to argue SUV's, go to a thread about SUV's.

Thanks!!

Comment

JohnT... Big&tasty isnt offered anymore. Sux for college student everywhere...
                  :-p

Comment

ATTP in an effort to cut costs, fired there highest-payed IT workers, complete with a nice payout bonus. They then realised that there was noone left in the company that understood the company's legacy systems. The very same workers were rehired as contractors, for the paltry sum of 3 times what they were previously receiving.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Skanky,

Good one.

Originally posted by Asher
                      How is that bigger?
                      IBM was already huge before that, still huge after.
                      The MS-DOS thing threw MS right to the top, and they've been there ever since.
                      Because if IBM used the 8086 instead, they wouldn't have gotten MS-DOS, they would have gone with CP/M-86, a more advanced OS at the time. MS would still be a computer languages vendor, but would not be as big.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You can make this claim for ANYTHING! What happens when people stop buying small **** Eurocars? What happens for McDonald's when people stop buying hamburgers?
                        If either company was dumb enough to offer only certain product while ignoring everything else, they probably deserve to die a slow death.

Car companies can't afford to put all their eggs in one basket in terms of product development. This is what killed them in the 70's when the Japanese undercut the big three after gas prices went through the roof.

You have a REALLY wierd way of thinking abotu what bites companies in the ass. Even with Firestone, Ford has made an absolute ton on SUVs, as have every American car maker.
                        Then why is ford's stock in the toilet, even with strong SUV's sales? GM and Chrysler are down, too. They're still getting killed across the board because they can't compete with the imports. And now the imports are cutting into their light truck and SUV markets.

fter all, it's saved many car companies (like Sten has already stated, Chrysler).
                        FYI, SUVs didn't "save" chrysler. A government handout "saved" chrysler. Followed by the K-car, followed by the Caravan.
                        "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Working...
                        X