Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time traveller busted for insider trading!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time traveller busted for insider trading!

Gotta love this one!

Go to http://tv.yahoo.com/news/wwn/20030319/104808600007.html.
    Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
    Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

"We don't believe this guy's story -- he's either a lunatic or a pathological liar," says an SEC insider.
    Damned, do these guys get special training, or what !!!
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

What! You don't believe he could be geniune?

Should've done a poll on it I guess.
      Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
      Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

I'm intrigued as to the nature of the deals he capitalised on.

To trade so successfully in several disparate companies requires a lot of inside contacts that I can't see an unknown having. I wonder if he somehow managed to bug offices or whether he is simply a very good computer hacker who intercepted many a confidential e-mail.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Did he mumble something about "12 monkeys"?
          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
            I'm intrigued as to the nature of the deals he capitalised on.

To trade so successfully in several disparate companies requires a lot of inside contacts that I can't see an unknown having. I wonder if he somehow managed to bug offices or whether he is simply a very good computer hacker who intercepted many a confidential e-mail.
            Or he's a time traveller. The late 90's, early Millennium is a very popular vacation spot.

Personally I prefer the Lesser Spiral Arm civilisation as a place to go but that's because time travel makes me queasy.
            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

April fools joke out too early.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Since they don't have any substancial evidence, I don't see how could they put him in jail.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                  Since they don't have any substancial evidence, I don't see how could they put him in jail.
                  They have sufficient evidence to arrest him, he has confessed to market manipulation. At any rate, they also have substantial evidence for putting him in for psychiatric evaluation.

The whole story sounds suspect though.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It's a joke, everybody. The last line in the article sez it all:

"Weekly World News will continue to follow this story as it unfolds. Keep watching for further developments. "

Comment

Oh, some of you might not know of the WWN.

It's a faux tabloid published here in the US. It's owned by the same people that run National Enquirer, and it sounds like a hell of a place to get a job. I remember reading an interview with an NE reporter who claimed that had he done it all over again, he'd work for the WWN (whose offices are next door to NE).

Why?

NE work environment: stressful, fear of lawsuits, too much fact-checking (really!)

WWN work environment. Fun, everybody laughing at their stupid stories, lots of good weed to be used for inspiration.

So he says..

Comment

I was just about to post that myself.
                        "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                          April fools joke out too early.
                          Yeah probably now you mention it.;
                          (+1)

Comment

Oh, It's the WWN!
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

I can come up with $800.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X