Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Epic films

So, why not have a thread about Epics?

Now, I leave it to people to make thier own judgement about what is Epic and what isn't. Also, any genre of film is available.

I really like The Last Emperor: the acting is good, it is geenrally accurate, and in general able to very efefctively and movingly tell the story of this one man and all the changes he lived through and on the way telling the sory of the first 60 years of China's 20th century hisotry.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Spartacus was pretty decent, even though Kubrick basically disowned it...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Gone with the wind defines epic and it's even well written with first rate acting talent.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Patton, Saving Private Ryan, Braveheart, Lawrence of Arabia...

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          Gone with the wind defines epic and it's even well written with first rate acting talent.
          Oerdin, first time I totally agree with your opinion

Another epic that I find fascinating in spite of it's message is also about the "galant" South, Birth Of A Nation.
          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
          And notifying the next of kin
          Once again...

Comment

All my favourite really long films (Barry Lyndon, Vertigo, Tarkovsky's Solaris) are not distinctly epic in nature. I'm having a hard time thinking of a massive-scale, well-arched film I really like, which is curious since I'm quite focused on artistic vision, set design, cinematography, etc. that should all work equally well in an epic setting.
            Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
            Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Let's not forget the gangster epic: The Godfather Part II and Once upon a Time in America
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Kurosawa's Ran
                "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                -Bokonon

Comment

"The Man Who Would be King" is one of my faves.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Bridge over the River Kwai

Comment

" De witte van Zichem"
                      -
                      "The great escape"
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

JohnT:

is bridge over the river Kwai the one about the British pow's who the Japanese force to build a bridge? and the British commander oddly wants to build it perfectly instead of sabotaging it

thanks
                        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

That's the one...

* starts whistleling(sp?)...*
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

and the British commander oddly wants to build it perfectly instead of sabotaging it
                            What is interesting, is that he wanted to talk about what really happened in there, but he did leave tapes about it (interview) behind, when he died. (Needless to say, that his version is slightly different than that the movie told.. )

Comment

Well, I have to make the obligatory anime nomination, and I'll bring up Jin-Roh. No idea what everyone else is defining as epic, but I think it fits.

Wraith
                              "Why?"
                              Fuse -- ("Jin-Roh")

Comment

Working...
                              X