• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This computer is driving me BEYOND THE BRINK

I have withstood the crashes
    The viruses
    The general aging badness

...but I can no longer stand this INFERNAL NOISE

Every minute beside this HD is like another minute riding a passenger jet engine struggling half submerged through a pool of aluminum dusted rubbing alcohol

As I shop for a new, "silent functioning" seems not a featured option

Is it not so?

Most HDDs are very quite these days. The fans are the noisiest parts in a computer.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Then we need less fans

This wretched combination noise of:

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      and:
      VREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Is enough to turn me on to drug use and abuse

Comment

You can also build (probably buy) a sort of "sound proof" box for your computer.

Fans are the price to pay for fast CPUs.

If you have $, you may consider buying a special water cooling case. That will kill most noises.
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

malfunctioning HDs will make a REALLY annyoying noise before they completely crap out, my friend had a Maxtor that did exactly that.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

You mean a head crash?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
              You mean a head crash?
              i'm exactly sure what happened, but that sounds like it could have been that case, although i have never expierenced one myself for comparison.
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Also, water cooling allows you to overclock it.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

You have probably one of those new GeForces

Seriously consider purchasing a HDD with Fluid Dynamic Bearing. They should be much more silent. I havent tried them, but have heard it from numerous sources.

ata

Comment

If you have any important files on that drive you better back them up now.
                    The ways of Man are passing strange, he buys his freedom and he counts his change.
                    Then he lets the wind his days arrange and he calls the tide his master.

Comment

You can get a near silent case from Antec. It is called Sonata. Calgary should have a dealer who carries them.

Put a Celeron or a P4 in it and you will not hear much, unless something starts to malfunction.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

My Dell is virtually silent.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                          You can get a near silent case from Antec. It is called Sonata. Calgary should have a dealer who carries them.

If you're REALLY nice to me, Zylka, I could hook you up with my CSUS discount at memoryexpress

It doesn't look like the carry the specific case NYE is speaking of, but they've got tons.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

AGGGHH

What the hell is this?!?! I need to silence a fan, not terrorize a 3rd world nation!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              If you're REALLY nice to me, Zylka, I could hook you up with my CSUS discount at memoryexpress
                              Oh goody. More money to buy other stuff, meaning I get to play sitter more.
                              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                              X