The M-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that was (sort of) the point of Gordon Dickson

he predicted that all the advance stuff would have more advance countermeasures

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

You can tell it's swell, it's Mattel!
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

what we need is a rifle that incorporates GPS technology to sight the weapon.
        Last edited by Ned; March 29, 2003, 12:32.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Reminds me of that "Beverly Hills Cop" rifle/Stereo/Microwave thingee.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Some crucial info about the M16:
            The M16 route starts in the south at the A1(m) with the existing Peterborough A605 southern bypass renamed to the A16. It continues north as the M16 until reaching the M17, whose route it shares until branching off to form a west of Boston route (it works out not to share and dual the railway origin road that is the A16 now because of the way eastward travelling traffic would branch on to this road - the alternative is junctions to the A52 via Hubberts Bridge). The M16 opens up eastern Lincolnshire and its resorts and market towns, but is an alternative route north for national traffic.

Oh .... were you talking about the gun? Damn.
            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

"This just in....Apparantly someone with an M-16 has just opened up in eastern Lincolnshire. More details as they emerge..."
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Hang on...there are no motorways in Lincolnshire! You lie!
                "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                  what we need is a rifle that incorporates GPS technology to sight the weapon.
                  GPS is no good to less than a metre.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If the enemy were really fat...
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

It would be easier to have a direct targetting system on the weapon (shortwave radar?)

They probably already are testing that sort of stuff on AT weaponry. Wouldn't be too hard to do (pulling this out of my ass)
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                        As for better replacements, the Swiss FASS 90 (SG 550 by Sig Sauer), the Austrian Steyr AUG, or the Israeli IMI Tavor series all kick ass over the M-16, although all require a bit more maintenance in the field.
                        The Steyr AUG is used by several neutral countries like Ireland and is popular because it is cheap and lighter then an M-16 or AK-47. The problem is the magazine is feed into the stock behand the trigger housing so when soldiers are firing from the prone, unsupported position the magazine often rests on the ground. This often results in misfeeds which cause the rifle to jam.

The Sig Sauer and IMI both are excellent rifles but the tend to be more expensive then your average M-16. Personally, I would like take a mini M-14 (excellent sniper rifle plus it is light weight and can still lay down impressive surpressing fire) or SAW. The problem with the SAW is it is made by FN ( large French defense contractor) and has a reputation for being a very delicate weapon. When it is working though it is highly accurate and is very versitile (can use either magazine or belt feed; single, semi, or full auto with a built in bipod).
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The problem with the SAW is it is made by FN ( large French defense contractor) and has a reputation for being a very delicate weapon.

Why does this not surprise me? ()
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                            The problem with the SAW is it is made by FN ( large French defense contractor) and has a reputation for being a very delicate weapon.

Why does this not surprise me? ()
                            It should surprise you.

FN is a Belgian company, not French, based in Herstal, Belgium, and back in 1898, it entered into a design collaboration with John Browning, so a lot of FN's, Colt's and Browning's design history is intermingled.

The M249 SAW is produced in Columbia, SC, USA, by the FNMI subsidiary. All LMG's tend to be delicate weapons, because of the very complex design requirements. The M63 Stoner, which is a classic LMG design from Eugene Stoner, was rejected for service except by the SEAL establishment, due to it's maintainability problems with normal troops.
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                            X