No announcement yet.

Iraqi tactics - Post your critics here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rummy likes to shoot his mouth off to much.

Try the logon now.
    I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
    i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Remember Reb, your just MtG there, not MichealtheGreat. I think Bloomy killed all the FFZ e-mails.

Navy misses you, BTW.
      I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd

Comment

Navy should start posting here again.

Kontiki: Please note that everything I mentioned was temporary. It could peel away very quickly, and I expect that it will, if we don't have to shoot up the place too badly. Umm Qasr is a case-in-point.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I had one of each there - MtG had admin privs, MichaeltheGreat had regular user privs, so I could check out forum access rules.

I've gotta head south, then I'll check in over there.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Better hurry, Claudia is p1ssed.

Dan, why not pay us a visit?

Give you a break from this lot.

Comment

not pissed. just matter of dinner sooner or dinner later.
              or no dinner
              :P
              Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Comment

Another Devious Iraqi Tactic

Iraqis are giving passing Americans the "thumbs up" sign, which the troops interpret as a symbol of support. But many veteran travelers insist that the gesture is a crass Middle Eastern insult. How should coalition forces take those skyward thumbs?

Depends on how media savvy those Iraqi bystanders may be. It's true that "thumbs up" traditionally translates as the foulest of Iraqi insults—the most straightforward interpretation is "Up yours, pal!" The sign has a similarly pejorative meaning in parts of West Africa, Russia, Australia, Iran, Greece, and Sardinia, according to Roger E. Axtell's book Gestures: The Do's and Taboos of Body Language Around the World. So, it's possible that the ostensibly cheering Iraqis are, in fact, silently voicing their displeasure.

But it's also possible that they understand the Western meaning of upturned thumbs, an explanation that the Army's Defense Language Institute subscribes to. According to a recent DLI manual on international gestures, after the first Gulf War "Middle Easterners of the Arabian Peninsula adopted this hand movement, along with the OK sign, as a symbol of cooperation toward freedom." Iraqi civilians may have noted this shifting meaning, perhaps via TV reports.
                Old posters never die.
                They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

The best thing is that can claim whichever meaning is convenient, at the time.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

"But I was giving you a thumbs-up, Mr. American Capitalist Pig-Dog! Aaargh!"
                    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko
                      It seems that troops undertaking such tactics don't necessarily qualify for POW status, but otherwise it's a legitimate tactic for a defending guerrilla force.
                      Yup. These tactics aren't much different from things Special Forces do. A lot of stuff the SAS/SBS (probably the US Special Forces) did is quite unspeakable.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Chris 62
                        I have to repeat, the Iraqi tactics are totally useless.

As for winning the PR war, that's even more laughable.

Only the usual "hate the US" bashers think the coalition is losing, and as usual, their simple minds can't comprehend military tactics, so they seek archaic examples that have no bearing on the modern world.

Such fools spew on at length about concepts they can't understand, while presenting as evidence centuries old examples of wars long over, fought in eras with different rules and different concepts.

A better cross section of the PR war would be to listen to the Iraqi people, who can't wait to be rid of Saddam, rather than some fool who thinks the US is happily carpet bombing everything in sight.

BTW, the government and the US Army never said it would be a fast war, the PRESS said that.
                        As far as this replies to my post...

The Arab street is not taking this war well, Chris. Really.
                        "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
                        - Lone Star

Comment

Originally posted by Chris 62
                          Thus far, Iraqi tactics are worse than useless.
                          Well, your view is countered by William Wallace, who said in an interview that they (the Iraqis) are fighting completely differently than previously imagined.

That can only be effective - throwing your enemy into chaos.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

What are the loss rates?

What have the Iraqis suceeded in doing?

As for the "arab world" not taking it well, I heard the same tune in Afghanistan.

Didn't seem to matter there, either.

Listen to what the exiles say, and the Iraqi liberated say, it's a lot different from what Al Jeezeera says.

Comment

This isn't quite the same as Afghanistan Chris. Apart from the news articles available, this thread on the SDMB is quite informative.

As for the exiled Iraqis, they aren't exactly the most unified group, and that's reflected in their stances towards this war as well. I've seen or read both pro- and anti-war interviews of exiled Iraqis.

And in Iraq, it's still too early to make a judgment. Suffice to say, hatred of Saddam does not necessarily (or even likely) correlate with being pro-American.
                              "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
                              - Lone Star

Comment

Why don't we wait until the real fighting starts - in Bagdhad and Tikrit.

Anyway, the US will probably manage to oust the Baath regime, but I'll bet that's about when the real fun will start.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X