Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American border enforcement nonsense

Excerpt:
    PERTH-ANDOVER – Marion and Nickolaj Pedersen live in New Brunswick, but they can't get to the rest of Canada, or even pick up their newspaper, without illegally crossing an international border.

Now that the American government has adopted an "orange alert" security status – just crossing the road has become a hassle for the Pedersens.

They've lived on their Perth-Andover area potato farm 53 years. The property skims the international border with their driveway in Canada, and the road, centimetres away, in the United States.
    (...)
    "It was out here when they stopped me," Marion says. " And he said `I'm going to take you in.' 'In where?' I said. And boy he meant it. He wasn't fooling. And I said, `Well what's wrong?' He said `You jumped the border.' And I said `Well, maybe yes, maybe no, but if I have, I've done it for 53 years.'"

Marion escaped prosecution, and eventually got special dispensation for herself and her husband Nickolaj to cross the street without getting into trouble with the law. But there's no such permission for anyone else who might come to the farm, not even her eight children who like to visit, or delivery or service people.

"He said `Mrs. Pedersen, you're alright, but you're not allowed to have anybody else here. No family.' I said `What about family?' `No. No friends.' `I said what happens tonight if say the water stops? And I have to call a plumber?' `Nope, not unless them come around by Andover and report.' I said, `Well, how can they get back in here? This is Canada.' Well that was going to be the way.'"
    What sort of madness is this? Has plain old common sense become a lost commodity at American Customs? The New Brunswick/Maine border is, to hazard a guess, 90% wilderness. If anyone wanted to cross over without being seen, they'd just go find a stretch of woods and walk through it (well, more likely ATV through it ). Cracking the whip on long-time residents of the area just makes the US border agents out to be anal-retentive jackasses for harassing innocent people.

How does American Customs justify this sort of nonsense?
    "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Security.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Sadly this kind of thing happens when there is an injection of patriotism*. All the jobsworth types crawl out of the woodwork and make as if they are important and single-handedly winning the war against terror.

* I don't mean people who are genuinely proud of their country, I mean the anally retentive types who jump up and down about being a citizen to compensate for their inadequacies.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Well, they're right to be concerned about Canadian menace! I mean, look at how much of the Canadian population is concentrated at the U. S. border - they're certainly planning to invade the U.S. with their hockey sticks or whatever!
        "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
        "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

It's a long time feud between the Yankees and the Canucks. Now the Yanks will show the Canucks who is the boss on the block.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Canadians haven't been a help to-date in keeping the border secure.
            Your joking illustrates the point perfectly.
            A shame Canada has nothing worth blowing down.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I am sure there are lots of Canadian Muslim Fudamentalists waiting eagerly to blow up things in the US. That's why you need to secure that border.
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I see.
                You're still onboard the "all terrorists are Muslim" boat?
                That boat sunk.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  Canadians haven't been a help to-date in keeping the border secure.
                  Your joking illustrates the point perfectly.
                  A shame Canada has nothing worth blowing down.
                  We're cooperating fully with the US on border issues; if they make a request in that regard we've agreed. We even allow US troops on our soil if accompanied by our own people. Learn a few facts before you shoot your mouth off.

Comment

You mean like the thread-starter implying it's all U.S. responsibilty to guard border?

Keep talking.

Comment

You mean like the thread-starter implying it's all U.S. responsibilty to guard border?

Keep talking.
                      You guard yours, we'll guard ours.

Maybe you can follow the lead of yer master Israel and
                      put up a wall and live in Fort Apache with a besieged
                      mindset.

Comment

It's a single border.
                        Leave it to a Canuk.

Comment

Keep talking.
                          His point is that some of the border guards are devoid of common sense and harrassing people that are clearly no threat. It seems you have a vivid imagination if you think otherwise. We've agreed to everything that the US has asked of us in regards to border security, so I don't see what else you expect us to do. It's your security problem, not ours.

Comment

I see.
                            You're still onboard the "all terrorists are Muslim" boat?
                            That boat sunk.
                            Do you still beat your wife Slowwhand?

Comment

Its sort of a side issue, but THE most obnoxious border guards/customs agents I've ever met are those at canadian airports. On the other hand, the only place I saw someone running X-ray security properly (aside from the London airports) was when leaving Ottawa on my last trip up there.
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                              X