Cultural Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cultural Differences

I hope seriously that this topic will be little controversial, yet interesting. Distances in US cities are generally much larger than in Europe. Thus it is generally accepted that Americans walk much less by foot. I began thinking about this some days ago when I watched American Beauty and the little ***** was shocked that Kevin Spacey's daughter would walk "more than a mile".

So my question is: How much do you walk on a daily basis, not taking into account walking within your own 4 walls...
    American - less than 0.6 miles/1km
    4.62%
    American - 0.6-1.2miles/1-2km
    13.85%
    American - 1.2-3 miles/2-5km
    7.69%
    American 3-6 miles/5-10km
    6.15%
    American - more than 6 miles/10km
    3.08%
    Not American - less than 0.6 miles/1km
    7.69%
    Not American - 0.6-1.2miles/1-2km
    10.77%
    Not American - 1.2-3miles/2-5km
    26.15%
    Not American 3-6 miles/5-10km
    9.23%
    Not American - more than 6 miles/10km
    7.69%
    Bananican - Between 1 and 10 Bananican Leagues
    3.08%
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

around 2kms. from the parking lot to the various uni buildings, and back, and I also walk my dog.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

I walk about 2 km a day, if only to go to the subway station from home and to come back. I
      never use the car in my urban moves, so I walk rather than taking the subway, when the walk would last 20 minutes or less (I walk pretty quickly, that makes 2 km.)
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I live about 5 minutes walk from the uni and there's very little need for me to be anywhere else during the week, so I rarely walk more than 1km a day, for the time being at least.
        "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

probably a couple of km a day. Once I am at my office, I often work out of clients offices within the downtown core.

I also bicycle about 30 km a day since I live about 15km from work.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

5 km
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't keep a journal on how much I walk.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

On a typical day, not more than 500m; I use my bicycle for distances longer than that (walking sucks)
                In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
                In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

Mr.Fun, it's all just guessing

For my part, I walk more than 5km a day - to University and in the afternoon I walk downtown with the baby, so he can sleep a bit. In total, that makes some 6 or 7 km.
                  "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                  "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

I walk a lot. I have never owned a car, and have always lived close enough to where I work to be able to walk, or at worst bike to work. I live two miles from work now, and I walk it a few days a week, weather permitting. When I don't walk, I take a bus or use my girlfriend's car (she has two).
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

1.5km to school, 1.5km back from school, and probably another 0.5km inside the school.
                      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Depends on how I go to uni/work: if I go by bike, I bicycle ~30 km per day and walk maybe a few 100 meters at most. When I go by bus, I probably walk 3 kms or something like that. When I go by bike but my bike breaks down again (not a very rare occurance ), I can end up walking 10+ kms
                        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

For me it varies. If I spend the day at the office then 1-2km. If the sun is shining and I can find an excuse to do a site inspection around the town then I always walk and that can make it 5-6km.

I spend too much time behind a desk so I get out and walk if I can.
                          Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

About 2 miles a day.
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

A couple miles/km a day I'd imagine. It takes about 20 minutes for me to walk from home to the centre of town, cutting across the backstreets and stuff. I do that a few times a week (a few times a day on the weekend).

This is due to my amazing inability to drive and the council's amazing inability to update bus timetables.
                              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                              X