Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China's getting nervous

From CNN:

"Of more concern to the LGNS is the perceived expansion of American unilateralism if not neo-imperialism.

As People's Daily commentator Huang Peizhao pointed out last Saturday, U.S. moves in the Middle East "have served the goal of seeking world-wide domination."

State Council think-tank member Tong Gang saw the conflict as the first salvo in Washington's bid to "build a new world order under U.S. domination."

Chinese strategists think particularly if the U.S. can score a relatively quick victory over Baghdad, it will soon turn to Asia -- and begin efforts to "tame" China.

It is understood the LGNS believes the U.S. will take on North Korea -- still deemed a "lips-and-teeth" ally of China's -- as early as this summer."

Full Article

Is anybody not getting nervous ?
    America's agression on Iraq has been the first true step towards a European diplomacy (by being a founding crisis) oriented in rivalry towards the US; it's making China wanting to modernize its weaponry and awaiting a shwodown against the US sooner; it's uniting the Arabs into a common and crossborder resentment against the US; it's pushing Rogue States to complete their nuclear programs ASAP.

The whole world is getting nervous.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

... gee really!

everybody should get a cold shower...

googol... this is a number!
      "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
      "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

The US needs China's cheap labor so I imagine they will be safe.

Unlike Iraq, NK otoh is actively trying to pick a fight with the US. Given that NK is nothing more than China's loud yipping lap dog, I can't imagine that the Chinese are not behind it. I say they doth protest too much.

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator
          The US needs China's cheap labor so I imagine they will be safe.

Unlike Iraq, NK otoh is actively trying to pick a fight with the US. Given that NK is nothing more than China's loud yipping lap dog, I can't imagine that the Chinese are not behind it. I say they doth protest too much.
          Regardless of whether the threat is real or perceived, if China gets it's girdle in a knot, it's not going to bode well for global security in the future. We could very well end up with another cold war.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about North Korea. They are completely powerless and they know it.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthVeda
              I wouldn't worry too much about North Korea. They are completely powerless and they know it.
              That's what alot of people thought in the first Korean conflict too, until China stepped in. There's no reason why they won't do it again, especially if they're feeling threatened by the US.
              Last edited by Willem; March 25, 2003, 13:41.

Comment

NK just wants more western aid. Instead of adopting the model used by most of the third world, NK prefers to "ask" by shooting off some missiles and making threats.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthVeda
                  In what way? The have the power to break a lot of things even if they would invariably lose.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

China sells over $120 billion worth of goods to the US each year, about 1/10th of China's economy. We're not going to fight between us over NK. We may not be on the same side, however.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The Cold War is over. The Commie bugaboo is dead. If NK and/or China decide to take SK, there's not much the US can do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Messer Niccolò
                        ... gee really!

everybody should get a cold shower...

I'm not trying to be alarmist, I'm merely pointing out that there will be some ramifications of this war regarding the Chinese that maybe no one has considered yet. And who knows where that will lead?

Comment

I agree with Spiffor, the whole world is getting nervous. If everyone follows the US example, there will be first strikes against any threat, real or percieved. Its just not the move toward peace and security that Bush would have us believe.

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator
                            The Cold War is over. The Commie bugaboo is dead. If NK and/or China decide to take SK, there's not much the US can do about it.
                            A cold war has nothing to do with ideology, it's all about one heavily armed country facing down another heavily armed country, without them actually coming to blows. Not a good scenario for global security; all it takes is one mistake on either side for things to get out of hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
                              all it takes is one mistake on either side for things to get out of hand.
                              Tragedies and crises are usually the culmination of a number of unchecked mistakes... though I certainly do not advocate reinventing the posture that will lead to them.
                              "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                              X