What do the people of Baghdad want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do the people of Baghdad want?

Ok this is borderline acceptable for a new war thread as I know it falls right under an existing one, but it's your call Ming. I just want the flat numbers of apolyton opinion on this, it isn't so much meant for specific debate - that reasonable?

So, does a considerable amount of the Baghdad population despise Saddam, and if so - should they not be allowed to flee the city? They perhaps do, but at the same time are fearful of contact with US troops outside. However, does a considerable portion of the city not fear the US troops on their own, and wish to leave as refugees? I will leave population support for Saddam out of the basic choices... as it will come under fire

Yet most importantly - Are they currently allowed to leave, if they wish?

Inform me, and vote your voice - thankya!

POLL IS MULTIPLE CHOICE!
    A significant portion of the city wishes to flee, but fears US troops they will encounter
    34.62%
    A significant portion of the city wishes to flee, and trusts the conduct of the US troops they will encounter
    19.23%
    Citizens are allowed to leave Baghdad if they wish
    15.38%
    Citizens are not allowed to leave Baghdad if they wish
    30.77%

I voted 1, 2, and 4

From that, I accuse a very nasty tactic of the Iraqi army. Can you name it?

Comment

4 voters? YOUCH!

Comment

Where is the BANANA option?!?
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectator
          Where is the BANANA option?!?
          The Bananas have been hit by the sanctions!
          Cheese eating surrender monkees - Chris 62

BlackStone supporting our troops

Comment

It's clear what they want.
            A chance to walk the earth, as free human beings .
            The U.N screwed them over during part 1 of the Gulf War.
            Thousands killed by Hussein.

They're pleading to not half-step this time.
            And the Coalition troops (notice it's not called U.N. troops this time around?), consisting of the U.S., England, and Australia won't let them down again.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

No Bannanas for Oil!
              Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Some Canuks.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

After all their strongest wish will be to survive the war
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Yep. From that desire they decide whether or not to fear the soldiers they "surrender" to. From there, the final portion ready to do the deed has to be allowed. According to those of Apolyton (for now), this significant group probably isn't allowed.

...So if they aren't allowed, they'll ask why:

R guard - "For your own safety away from the monster Americans!"
                    Citizen - "Well... to be honest, I'd like to take my chances, rather than eat their faceless bombs... see ya"
                    R guard - "If you indeed choose that suicidal path, I have no choice but to shoot you. Now get back inside"

Comment

we should just ask them. no one thought of that Of course there is a man in power preventing that. So I say we remove the man in power preventing us from asking them. And then we ask them.

Comment

Where's the "Iraqis are too poor and can't afford to flee option?" That's the main difference between 1991 and now. THen, Iraqis had the means to flee... now, the only option is to walk in the desert.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                          Where's the "Iraqis are too poor and can't afford to flee option?" That's the main difference between 1991 and now. THen, Iraqis had the means to flee... now, the only option is to walk in the desert.
                          Yep,
                          those german Reporter which have been in Baghdad (and. like Antonia Radosch, still are) talk about this being the reason why many people haven´t fled.
                          Those who could afford it are already away from Baghdad while the other people who are too poor or fear for their Possessions still are there, opening their shops and doing their regular work (and hoping they or their possessions don´t get hit by a Precision Weapon).
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                            But when the US approach the outskirts, would not those who see them as liberators do the quick dash towards their camps? It can't be too far a walk when the initial forces surround the city

Comment

Only Apolytoners living in Baghdad should vote!
                              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                              X