POWs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POWs

Rumsfeld raised an interesting point re: the captured coalition troops. It is technically a violation of the Geneva Convention to "publicly display" POWs. Is this possible, or practical in the current media saturated war?

Will the US ask or even require the American corespondents in the field to stop filming captured Iraqis? ... or was Rumsfeld only concerned about the rights of Coalition troops?

Will both sides in this conflict treat POWs as prisoners or as detainees without rights - like those captured by the US, Canadians and other forces in Afghanistan? Have the Coalition Forces made any statements on this?

What do you think of the Sports Fishermen method (catch & release - unless you get a big one) of dealing with Iraqi combatants? Are there any precidents to this? Isn't it rather dangerous?
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

There's a difference between media housed by democratic countries getting a view of us handling surrendered Iraqi POWs, and a Saddam-sanctioned parading of captured US POWs.

Comment

There's a difference between media housed by democratic countries getting a view of us handling surrendered Iraqi POWs, and a Saddam-sanctioned parading of captured US POWs.
      BION I'm not trying to pick a fight in this thread.

I missed the parading footage. Who broadcast it?

But to be honest, I don't see a great deal of difference between the coalition soldiers, who in the footage I saw were seated, looking rather anxious and being interviewed. I compare this to footage I saw of Iraqi soldiers seated on the ground, looking rather anxious and being interviewed.

- I must admit, I did get a kick out of the footage of the Iraqi soldier face down on the ground with an English soldier standing over him, gun pointing at the prisoner's head and speaking loudly & slowly "DO - YOU - SPEAK - ENGLISH ?" Bet he learned that one from the Americans !.
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

- I must admit, I did get a kick out of the footage of the Iraqi soldier face down on the ground with an English soldier standing over him, gun pointing at the prisoner's head and speaking loudly & slowly "DO - YOU - SPEAK - ENGLISH ?" Bet he learned that one from the Americans !.
        No, no. Thats our reaction to all foreigners.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
          If someone neutral would be a referee in this, my guess is, he would say both sides are in violation.

-
          I don't think the footage was shown in the US, I saw it earlier this night, and the soldiers did look scared to say the least.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

If the Iraqis mistreat US prisoners, they are shooting themselves in the foot. That's just going to anger US soldiers and make them fight much harder.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Like 20000000000 ton bombs arn't enough...
              -
              They will do so politically IMO.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Re: POWs

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky
                Rumsfeld raised an interesting point re: the captured coalition troops. It is technically a violation of the Geneva Convention to "publicly display" POWs. Is this possible, or practical in the current media saturated war?

Will the US ask or even require the American corespondents in the field to stop filming captured Iraqis? ... or was Rumsfeld only concerned about the rights of Coalition troops?
                I can't address Rumsfeld's concern, but the technical difference is whether the POW's are made to address the camera, make propaganda statements (a la USN Lt. Geoff Zahn in GW I). Simply being filmed at some reasonable distance in the process of being captured or handled subsequently isn't enough to be a violation - there has to be some (higher than normal for being a POW) level of coercion, humiliation, or use as a political object.

Will both sides in this conflict treat POWs as prisoners or as detainees without rights - like those captured by the US, Canadians and other forces in Afghanistan? Have the Coalition Forces made any statements on this?
                There's a solid basis for treating the al Qaeda and some of the Taleban as unlawful combatants. Most Iraqi POW's will clearly be POW's, but according to early reports out of An Nasiriyah, you had some Iraqis wearing civilian clothing over their uniforms. That can get you summarily tried and shot, if not simply shot in the field. Einheits Stielau in the Ardennes offensive in WW 2 is a good example.

What do you think of the Sports Fishermen method (catch & release - unless you get a big one) of dealing with Iraqi combatants? Are there any precidents to this? Isn't it rather dangerous?
                There are precendents, Grant at Vicksburg in 1863 being one. The treatment of these EPW's will depend a lot on the units they come from, and indications of their general state of uniform, supply and equipment. Obviously IRG prisoners won't get treated this way, but a lot of third-grade conscript units that never wanted to fight in the first place will. Their weapons will be taken, they'll be checked medically if wounded, fed, given some food and water, and sent down the road. Better for them, and better for us to not have to deal with them.
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Until taken into custody you are not yet a POW. All those individuals we see surrendering on TV have yet ot be taken ito custody and thus techinically it is not a violation of thier dignity, which is what is violate dby taping them (since it is to embarrass them).

Notice that we don't see any images of POW camps for Iraqis being held right now, only imgaes of those people in the act of surrendering.

This is the distinction. It seems cosmetic, but the law is usually based on such thin lines.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                    Until taken into custody you are not yet a POW. All those individuals we see surrendering on TV have yet ot be taken ito custody and thus techinically it is not a violation of thier dignity, which is what is violate dby taping them (since it is to embarrass them).

Notice that we don't see any images of POW camps for Iraqis being held right now, only imgaes of those people in the act of surrendering.

This is the distinction. It seems cosmetic, but the law is usually based on such thin lines.
                    Once they surrender and are in control of allied forces, they're presumtive POWs unless it is determined that they're unlawful combatants, or other classes of persons covered in the Geneva Convention or other international law. (Neutral non-combatant observers attached to combatant forces, neutral civilians, dips, etc. etc.)
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Well, that is the distinction no? Guys walking up to be taken into custody are not yet technically in custody.

Particulars, technicalities..the wonders of law.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Several embedded correspondents from CNN have said that the military will not allow them to film Iraqi POW's. The US is following the Geneva Convention.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

What about in Kosovo, where we saw pic of that american POW's beaten face to death?
                          :-p

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                            Well, that is the distinction no? Guys walking up to be taken into custody are not yet technically in custody.

Particulars, technicalities..the wonders of law.
                            If they're in a recognized posture of surrender and in control, i.e. clearly in range of ground forces and under your weapons, they're POWs. Otherwise, it would be legal to simply shoot them on the spot, and it isn't.

Now, if there's any question that they're in control - i.e. the area is still contested, they're at range, or able to rapidly get under cover, or anything that makes taking them into custody questionable, i.e. you're not really in control of them, then they're still hostile combatants, and when in doubt, wipe 'em out.

That's why getting to be a POW is a risky business, but the moment they become protected doesn't start with touching them or searching them or confining them - if they don't resist, once you establish control, they're protected.

Comment

This has been very informative - I sincerely thank you for your responses.

Is there an agreed upon definition for unlawful combatants in international law? Would the same definition apply to both the al Qaeda (a nationless army) and people such as Iraqi citizens defending their own country sans uniform ?

Speculate - G.W. Bush stated today, rather succinctly, that anyone treating POW inappropriately will be tried as war criminals. If he is faced with incontrovertible proof that coalition forces inflicted mistreat upon Iraqi POWs, would he send them to The Hague ?

Comment

Working...
                              X