Human shields in Iraq "shocked back to reality"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caligastia
    Lets face it, whatever the US does once it takes control of Iraq is going to be 1000 times better than Saddam.
    Many Afghanis would probably quibble with you. As would Iranians who can remember the U.S. puppet regime and its consequences.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Many Afghanis would probably quibble with you.

I doubt it. Afghanistan is much better than it was under the Taliban. Keep talking though; I need the entertainment...
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        Which would probably be why this human shield changed their mind, they didn't understand the scope of the hatred of Saddam.
        Asher, look at the source of the story, Reverend Sun Myung Moon's media. The story is obviously a fake, or at least highly suspect.

Comment

Whether the story is completely factual or not, is it so hard to believe that there are Iraqi citizens who loathe Saddam's regime so much that they are praying for the Americans to move in quickly? I don't find that hard to believe at all.
          If someone shot Bush tomorrow, wouldn't there be plenty of Americans who would cheer? Every state has people who hate the government. Asher hates the Liberals with a passion; that doesn't mean the whole country does.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
            Asher, look at the source of the story, Reverend Sun Myung Moon's media. The story is obviously a fake, or at least highly suspect.
            I know that we have to find an excuse to dismiss all pro-war stories, but from the people who posted above (Newspaper editors included), I've been told UPI's reporting is still of excellent quality, regardless of who owns it.

Find another loophole to maintain your fantasy.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I think it says something if a significant portion of the population of Iraq would prefer US leadership to Saddam, and I think most of them would. Lets face it, whatever the US does once it takes control of Iraq is going to be 1000 times better than Saddam.
              I have the feeling that most Sunni Iraqis would probably prefer free elections, which they won't get; Most Kurds want their own state, which they won't get; and most Shias would like either to be part of Iran or to have their own state, neither of which they will get. What is frightening is that many of them may take the opportunity to rebel in these causes once Saddam is defeated. How will the US play having to brutally suppress these rebellions?

While whatever comes out of this will be better than the sanctions regime, I doubt it will be much better than Iraq was in the 80s. You can say what you like about SH but I'd rather have lived there in the 80s than in Saudi or Jordan.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Are the Shias Persians or Arabs ?
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  I don't know - I do know that they have strong cultural and religious affinities with Iran.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

I know that we have to find an excuse to dismiss all pro-war stories, but from the people who posted above (Newspaper editors included), I've been told UPI's reporting is still of excellent quality, regardless of who owns it.

Find another loophole to maintain your fantasy.
                    Well if you want to be blindly led down the garden path, that's your problem. I don't object to pro-war stories if they're true, but knowing Moon like I do, I could never, ever trust any outlet owned by him. Perhaps you're to young to know Moon when he first came on the scene back in the 60's - 70's. The guy's a nut case and not to be trusted. You should look him up sometime and see what his organization is all about, it would make for some interesting reading. He's a cult leader pure and simple, with some very bizarre beliefs.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                      Many Afghanis would probably quibble with you.

I doubt it. Afghanistan is much better than it was under the Taliban. Keep talking though; I need the entertainment...
                      In the big cities like Kabul, yes, but under the price of martial law. There are also near-daily bombings, assassination attempts and guerrilla attacks against officials and coalition personnel. The situation is hardly stable, and once U.S. and U.N. presence is lessened, the nascent Taliban cells are sure to resurge.

In the countryside, it's a different stories. Warlords fight amongst each other for control, having divied up the land into fiefdoms, and the peacekeeping forces aren't able to do much of anything about it. Karzai's authority seems to stop pretty much at the outskirts of Kabul. Now within those fiefdoms, there is a lot of nasty **** going on, rivalling the Taliban's nastiness. There is also a great deal of starvation, since the foreign aid packages have yet to materialize as promised.

Yeah, it's peachy-keen there.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Actually, Kabul is the only place where things have changed for the better in Afganistan. Outside the city, thw warlords rule, and they ruled there under the Taliban as well.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Well if you want to be blindly led down the garden path
                          I will go on the record and state I have nothing against gardens, nor the paths that lead to them.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I will go on the record and state I have nothing against gardens, nor the paths that lead to them.
                            Oh, so you're saying you'll believe anything that's presented to you, as long it supports your view? And here I thought you were half-way enlightened!

Comment

Oh, so you're saying you'll believe anything that's presented to you, as long it supports your view? And here I thought you were half-way enlightened!
                              No, I'm saying I have nothing against gardens or paths that lead to them. I didn't say anything about beliefs.

Jeez.

All I'm saying is your argument just doesn't cut it. Many people in this thread (including Newspaper editors and others who, quite frankly, know a helluva lot more about this than you) which state UPI is a dependable news source.

You've learned that some guy you consider a whacko owns it and handily dismiss the article, despite the professional's opinions on it and the liklihood of this article making sense.

You're the one that obviously dismisses everything which doesn't fall into your cookie-cutter view of the conflict, no?

Comment

The ones in Iraq are Arabs.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X