Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if: The Kurds and Turks start fighting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if: The Kurds and Turks start fighting...

The Turks pour in massive reinforcements and push the Kurds back. Turks make drive for northern oil...Kurds reel back, Turks ruthlessly press on.

Should the US get involved in the fight? On whose side?

This could be the situation that supplants coalition victory with a huge disaster. What form could that disaster take?

Game it out, where might the situation go?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

It could very well happen. I don't know how the US military is going to react. WWIII?

Comment

The best strategy would probably to physically put troops between the Turks and the Kurds. I really can't see either side having any desire to start shooting at Americans. However, this would require a very large chunk of the US reserves in the region (which I think is mainly composed of the 101st Air Assault division) and this would greatly slow American war plans.
      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Hmm...WWIII or referee.

The US has already told the Turks that since they are not an integrated part of the coalition of the willing, that the US could not "guarantee their safety."

Is that a threat?
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

It wouldn't be WWIII, since the Turks don't have any nuclear devices. However, this is going to be a sticky situation, if the Turks refuse to budge. US can't quite strike at the Turks, particularly now that they are both NATO. I don't think the Turks want to make a grab at the oil fields either, they know they will not be able to keep them. So, the best thing the US can do now is to threaten kicking the Turks from NATO if they continue to be offensive.

What will be even more fun is if Iran joins in.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

1500 Turkish troops move into N. Iraq.

WWIII doesn't necessarily imply nuclear warfare.

Comment

Yeah, but nobody will be on the Turk's side. It will only be a regional war.
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I wonder what our Greek friends think about all this?

Comment

Rubbing their hands in glee

Comment

Now MSNBC is saying the Turk troops may or may not be in north Iraq quite yet. But they are on the move!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                      Yeah, but nobody will be on the Turk's side. It will only be a regional war.
                      But I think there will probably also be noone on the side of the Kurds in Iraq (which will be the real loosers of the war)
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

What do you mean if?
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Currently, both the Turks and the Kurds deny any entrance of Turkish forces.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Turkey has no rights what so ever to attack Kurdistan, or Kurds for that matter. They can talk all they want about keeping them in leash, but they are people, not animals!
                            Turkey better keep their fingers of Kurds and Kurdistan. I say attack 100% if they even start thinking about killing Kurds once again.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Recommended Coalition response if the situation worsens is to place a limited number of air mobile forces (with combat air support) in the gap between the Turks and Kurds with the implication that any further incursion will be a threat against the US.

I think the US should call the Turks bluff. Who cares about the Turks? They are a bunch of loonies, et at Cyprus & murdering our football fans.............

Comment

Working...
                              X