Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Japeneese allowed to have an army?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Japeneese allowed to have an army?

I know that at the end of WW2 the Japeneese were not allowed to have an army anymore. But what about today? Do they have one? If so, how big is it? Do they have the naval power they used to have? And if they dont have an army, who defends them?

Thanks.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

They have a defensive military only, as per their post war constitution, although they do spend quite a bit of money on that military.

Also, iirc, there's a USmilitary base in Japan.
    "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Military Branches: Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (Army), Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (Navy), Japan Air Self-Defense Force (Air Force), Japanese Coast Guard

Military expenditures - dollar figure: $40,774.3 million (FY01)

"I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

aka, JSDF

I heard awhile ago whether Japan should defend itself completely or not. I guess its the saem old arguement w/ S.Korea. I dunno what's new on the issue.
        :-p

Comment

Will the be allowed to have full control of their army someday? I mean to do whatever they want and not just defend their country? Like "help" other countries that are in need?

Spec.
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

They have full control of their army today, they are limiting themselves, because the horrors of war made them a bunch of peacenicks.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
              They have full control of their army today, they are limiting themselves, because the horrors of war made them a bunch of peacenicks.
              Are you sure?

Comment

According to their constitution, they can NEVER have war again....literally. Unless they are attacked, then they can defend themselves (i.e. JDF).

Additionally, their military is not a part of their government like the US Military is. It's more like an afterthought. The communication between the government and the JDF is limited.
                Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                *****Citizen of the Hive****
                "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
                  According to their constitution, they can NEVER have war again....literally. Unless they are attacked, then they can defend themselves (i.e. JDF).
                  They could always change their constitution. Probably not easy, but possible.

Also, they have stated that if they have evidence that North Korea is preparing to attack Japan (fueling up it's missiles, etc), they reserve the right to premptively attack North Korea.

Comment

Additionally, their military is not a part of their government like the US Military is. It's more like an afterthought. The communication between the government and the JDF is limited.
                    That's a bad thing, you know.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Edan

They could always change their constitution. Probably not easy, but possible.

Also, they have stated that if they have evidence that North Korea is preparing to attack Japan (fueling up it's missiles, etc), they reserve the right to premptively attack North Korea.
                      Whoa. I didn't hear about this. Which paper says this? I gotta use it for my class.

For changing their constitution, it's been proposed before but according to my prof's., the so-called 'hardliners' in the Japanese govt are adamantly opposed to modification.
                      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                      *****Citizen of the Hive****
                      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Yeah, it's been around, Franky.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

If that is possible with N. Korea, they are already bending it. Theoratically, you can say why not preemptively attack any other country to "protect" japan?
                          :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan

Whoa. I didn't hear about this. Which paper says this? I gotta use it for my class.
                            Here's an article about it:

For changing their constitution, it's been proposed before but according to my prof's., the so-called 'hardliners' in the Japanese govt are adamantly opposed to modification.
                            Well, I did say it wouldn't be easy - just possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
                              If that is possible with N. Korea, they are already bending it. Theoratically, you can say why not preemptively attack any other country to "protect" japan?
                              No,premptive can be the same as defense, although it does show that they won't necessarily wait to get hit before responding - especially if you have evidence that they're going to attack. (Not doing so would be stupid policy anyway, imo. If you have proof that someone is going to attack you, you shouldn't wait until after getting hit before doing something about it)
                              Last edited by Edan; March 21, 2003, 15:49.

Comment

Working...
                              X