Drums of war mute Afghani peace message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drums of war mute Afghani peace message

UNITED NATIONS - An Afghan dentist who cycled halfway around the world to draw attention to the suffering that war has caused his country ended his 11-month ride in frustration Monday, his message of peace to the United Nations drowned out by the drums of war.

Nadir Shah Nangarhari, 36, with tears in his eyes, expressed disappointment that none of the U.N. press corps, or even an official U.N. photographer, captured the moment as he delivered a letter expressing the Afghan people's desire to live in peace and prosperity to the U.N. headquarters in New York.

"When there are a couple of shots fired in any corner of the world, everybody knows about it, but if I talk peace, no one is interested," he said through a translator. He worried that the utter devastation and abject poverty that war has brought to Afghanistan would be forgotten as the world's attention shifted to Iraq.

Nangarhari had never left Afghanistan before biking through Iran, Turkey, Europe and the United States. He speaks no European languages. Local Afghan communities and strangers often took him in, but he sometimes slept outside or in bus shelters or gas stations. A truck hit him in Turkey, causing memory loss and recurring headaches. A supporter in London bought him an airline ticket to Washington, where he resumed his journey to Ground Zero in New York and the United Nations.

After two decades of war, Afghans are lighting their homes with homemade oil lamps while the rest of the world surfs the Internet, Nangarhari told Assistant Secretary-General Gillian Martin Sorensen. People have to leave the country to get adequate health care, most of the population is illiterate, and even raising livestock is impossible because the animals are blown up by land mines, he said.

When asked about the looming war in Iraq, he said, "Our country has been so damaged we cannot concentrate on other countries." He added, "Long live peace. Long live love."

The cyclist said his wife is not angry he left her and his five children to deliver his message of peace, because his brother-in-law was killed by fighting.
    An interesting story I stumbled apon while looking up some news, just thought I'd post it here. So, as they say, Discuss.

Note to mods: this isn't about the Iraq war, so keep control over yourselves.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Thanks for bringing this up.
    It shouldn't have been lost in the press.
    An excellent gesture.

Afghans will do fine, without Taliban pushing them around.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Yeah, it's good the US killed the Taliban... if only they gave half a crap about helping the people build a decent society.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

What Sloww said.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Well Afghans will do better without Taliban that is for sure but I don't see them as a land of peace or otherwise I don't see the west giving them a "marshall plan"...
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

The West promised a bunch of aid (whether or not that is enough I don't know), let's hope they come through with it.

It's too early to tell.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I'm for supplying aid, but it's the Afghan's country, let them set it up.
              If they WANT advice, that's fine, too.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

It's not because the Taliban are gone that all is fine...

right now it's just chaos over there
                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Chaos is an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    Too bad they still have the rest of the warlords around to do that.

Here are some other interesting articles I found

An American radio station demonstrates American-style freedom to an Afghan journalist

The newly installed Afghan government is hard at work ferreting out anti... er, pro-democrat factions

The West promised a bunch of aid (whether or not that is enough I don't know), let's hope they come through with it.

It's too early to tell.
                    Happened to find an article dealing with just that, too. Says they're short a billion or two dollars.

On a completely unrelated note didn't I read a few days ago that the USA was spending a few tens of billions of dollars on new nuclear weapons technology?

Amazing what you can find from surfing news sites. I ought to read the news more often.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

The Taliban is down but not out. Neither are other warlords. The situation is very unstable and the whole world would benefit by helping the Afghanis in their time of need.

Comment

This is sooooo naive
                        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Says the person supporting France...
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I'm going to ignore this guy too

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              Chaos is an improvement.
                              Uh huh.

/me checks Slowwhand's temperature.

Thought so.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X